Snake Crackling Sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 5th, 2022, 04:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Snake Crackling Sound

I recently noticed a hum that sounds like grounding/shielding issue. I thought it was my old wired lavalier mics that have endured a lot of use and abuse. So I replace the mics and while I was testing one I purchased I noticed a crackling sound that was coming from the Snake cable itself. When I touch the thin cables that come out at the end. Then I realized that I've been having issues since I upgraded to a longer cable. It's a good name brand cable that I bought on B&H and it's only 25'. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600842-REG/sescom_4xlm_4xlf_25_4_channel_xlr_male_to.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

My older Mogami cable doesn't have any noise when touching the unshielded cables at the end. Did I just get dud? Is it a waste my time getting a replacement. I make a recording you can hear it sound. Note it is very subtle I raised the volume in post so you can hear it better. This sound occurs when I touch or bend the cable at the end.

unedited
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E7a...ew?usp=sharing

gain increased
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j64...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 5th, 2022 at 05:28 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 01:02 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Snake Crackling Sound

Nasty! It’s intermittent and the volume is stable. Doesn’t “sound” like a grounding issue. No hum. I’ll test later in RX9 to determine if there’s some harmonics/hums that could potentially point at external/internal forces at hand. If you test record it in different environments, do you still get it? Is there any switch of stream from analogue to digital that could require resampling? Resampling can throw up crackling type anomalies. What’s wrong with you just replacing it? Expense or not wanting to do so IF there is a solution?

Nasty!?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 01:27 AM   #3
Old Boot

I just read the BH speccs! They look a real solid design for your kit. What’s the replacement/returns policy like? You’ve tried your other cables and no probs. Have you got a cable tester? I’ve got a Behringer CT that I’ve profitably used to check cables. I start off with a a known, working cable and then test the suspect. I’ve found professionally rigged cables to be lacking grounding or those tricky intermittent “dry” joints.

Here’s that Behringer:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-c...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s saved my rear end several times back at base and out on the road. I’ve had pro made cables MIA and dry joints and miss aligned shielding. We’re all human 🙏.
Old February 6th, 2022, 02:01 AM   #4
Old Boot

OK, some RX9 Advanced screengrabs. No Hums of particular concern/worries. The crackles Invert each other, could be an indication of grounding fighting? If you do a lot of paid work, get a cable tester. In a sense you've tested against a known working cable, so test that too!

Could you get me the output from your GOOD Cable?

Interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Snake Crackling Sound-2022-02-06_07h43_50.png   Snake Crackling Sound-2022-02-06_07h46_44.png  

Snake Crackling Sound-2022-02-06_07h47_41.png   Snake Crackling Sound-2022-02-06_07h48_46.png  

Old February 6th, 2022, 04:22 AM   #5
Old Boot

Here’s a demo of the CT100:

Old February 6th, 2022, 05:07 AM   #6
Old Boot

Huh! Just considered using mine on a "known" dodgy" cable. No bright lights. NB: Needed to replace Batteries - done, and cable still dodgy.
Old February 6th, 2022, 10:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I doubt its a problem with the snake if it is the Sescom. Sescom gear is built by Tower products in upstate NY. Tower products acquired Sescom name and products some years ago when founder Franklin MIller passed on. FWIW, my fav sescom product was and still is the IL19 inline iso transformer.
Tower's retail branch is Markertek.com.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 10:29 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
I doubt its a problem with the snake if it is the Sescom.
So, what do you think it could be? Are you suggesting it may not be this company's gear - "if it is the Sescom"?
Old February 6th, 2022, 11:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm not hearing a hum now it's not in the recording. I had heard it in the past and that's when I started replacing my old mics. It's possible that both the cable and mic had issues, but I had to eliminate to mic issue to hear the cable issue.

I'm very sure it's the cable because I went back and tested my old snake and I do not get a crackling sound. To create that crackling sound I plugged the Sescom snake into my mixer (mixpre) without any mics attached and if I touch any part of the cable and gently manipulate it, I get that crackling sound. It even happens when I touch the shielded part. I'm just curious what would cause this. The cable looks physically fine. I've only used it a dozen times and have treated it well.

I bought it back in April of 2021. I'll have to contact B&H or Sescom to see if I can get a replacement.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 6th, 2022 at 01:54 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 02:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Are the mics unbalanced. If so, that can cause a number of problems, I had a couple of Phantom Pwr XLR adapter/power supplies for my wireless mics, where I needed to ground the connector shell, which is typically isolated from cable shield/ground. In addition, an unbalanced mic's cable run is 'supposed' to be under 10 feet, where as a balanced mic connection can be 100 feet (or more) w/o any audible noise or degradation.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 05:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Are the mics unbalanced. If so, that can cause a number of problems, I had a couple of Phantom Pwr XLR adapter/power supplies for my wireless mics, where I needed to ground the connector shell, which is typically isolated from cable shield/ground. In addition, an unbalanced mic's cable run is 'supposed' to be under 10 feet, where as a balanced mic connection can be 100 feet (or more) w/o any audible noise or degradation.
These are Audio Technica balanced wired xlr mics. They do need adapters from mini to regular xlr in addition adapter can take a AA battery to power the mic if necessary but in this case the mixer is providing power. I sent an email to Sescom and the responded with in an hour. I was surprised at the speed of the response so I feel good that the problem will be solved. I'm going to run a more through test to insure its the cable before sending it back.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio