Small adhesive pop/ wind filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 7th, 2022, 10:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Small adhesive pop/ wind filter

Some time ago (months or more) I read somewhere about a device like this description, intended IIRC for smartphones and other recorders with small internal mics.

It's a small circular piece of foam, with a donut-shaped ring of adhesive around the outer part of the underside. You peel it off the backing paper and stick it on your phone, so the mic is facing through the center part where there's no adhesive.

My recollection is that it's similar in size to the adhesive punched-hole reinforcing rings that we used on 3-ring binder pages, to keep the holes from ripping through.

Now I can't find the thing to save my life. Does anybody recall seeing something like this?

Thanks in advance!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Small adhesive pop/ wind filter

Hi Greg, I do not know of anything specifically made for phones, but Rycote Stickies (with undercovers or overcovers) would work.
BubbleBee also has a line mounting accessories and filters.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2022, 10:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Rick. Thanks for the tip. The Overcover may be the product I had seen, and I then extrapolated it for use on phones. I could use a hole punch to remove the center of the sticky, so the mic could communicate directly with the fur. I will definitely keep those in mind, they would work.

If possible, however, I'd like to find a similar product, but foam rather than fur. I think it might be more durable in the long run. I did find phone-specific clip-on products, but I am looking for something with an adhesive attachment. Hopefully someone else has seen such a thing.

Thanks again! Hope you have a good upcoming weekend!
Old July 8th, 2022, 11:38 AM   #4
Wrangler

Personally, I like this windscreen that turns your phone into Don King :-D
Attached Images

Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2022, 11:43 AM   #5
Trustee

That phone has more hair than I have!
Old July 8th, 2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use moleskin a lot mounting lav mics on folks, it's would be easy to cut a hole in it. It is very durable the do not leave adhesive goo behind when removed, unlike 3M Transpore tape which I also sue a lot. Dr Scholl's callus and corn pads are circular and some already have center holes.
Old July 8th, 2022, 08:14 PM   #7
Trustee

Rick, thanks for that suggestion; moleskin is a unique fabric/ product. I especially like the idea of Dr. Scholl's pads with the circle pre-cut. However, those circles have adhesive on only one side. So I'd still need to obtain some foam circles, and glue them to the top side of the moleskin. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Greg Miller; July 8th, 2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old July 9th, 2022, 09:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

No, you would have to improvise adhesive to attach the fabric.
OTOH, the BubbleBee lav tape has double sided adhesive and a hole in the center,
"The transparent double-sided tape keeps your microphone solid in place on one side and sticks directly to the skin or to clothes on the other side allowing the microphone to be safely and securely mounted almost anywhere.
The tape also has a small piece cut out in the middle of the tape, which is to be saved and used for fixing.The transparent double-sided tape keeps your microphone solid in place on one side and sticks directly to the skin or to clothes on the other side allowing the microphone to be safely and securely mounted almost anywhere
".
See this page for the BubbleBee outdoor lav cover system.
https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/...overs-moleskin
Old July 9th, 2022, 10:06 AM   #9
Trustee

Outstanding! My search for Bubblebee did not turn up that info. That product line is just what I'm looking for. Strangely, this is not what I recall seeing recently ... but if anything this is better!

Thanks again, Rick!
Old July 9th, 2022, 01:14 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Your welcome Greg, glad to help my long time forum buddy.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio