Lots of Noise From Pre-Amp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 27th, 2023, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Lots of Noise From Pre-Amp

I just started a new job and now am shooting with a Canon C70 and R5. One of the microphones I got is the Rode Wireless Go II, but when testing it I'm noticing a lot of noise from the pre-amp in the C70. When I tested it with the R5, I'm not getting the same amount of noise and it sounds good.

I did tons of tests yesterday by turning the pre-amp down in camera and turning it up on the Rode system and then vice versa. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

Any suggestions?
Brock Burwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2023, 11:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lots of Noise From Pre-Amp

I haven't got a C70 but looking for something else I came across this. Not sure if it helps, but …

If the C70 fan is on, a sensitive mic will hear it, if the ambience is quiet. The built-in mics certainly will.

Cheers.
Old January 28th, 2023, 04:14 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Something that has given me a lot of unwanted noise (that would sound like a very noisy preamp) is accidentally leaving phantom power on when using a mic level input. Drove me batty until I realised what it was.

Might be worth checking for that. As always, let us know how it goes.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2023, 10:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Phantom power, by design cannot add noise, because the voltage is applied identically to the two audio lines - what it can do is 'annoy' a connected device that does not appreciate having 48V applied to it. if switching it on or off with nothing connected raises the noise floor, that's strange.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2023, 12:57 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Phantom power annoys my RØDELink Filmmaker receiver unit.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2023, 04:13 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Usually it's an indication the device connected is either not expecting it and the output resistance, as opposed to impedance) is unequal between ground to XLR 2 and 3. In these cases, the unequal resistance doesn't really matter much for the audio, but means that some of the 48V won't be cancelled out, leaving volts on one leg - and that can make things unpredictable. Usually there will be capacitor isolation on output sockets, but some designs didn't consider the possibility of having 48V coming back into the output. Soundcraft - a well respected mixer manufacturer had these things when people connected two mixers together. I discovered it using two, with the first an orchestra submixer. It's stereo out when to channels 1 and 2 of another Soundcraft. These had the phantom power on which went into the mixer outputs. Audio wise - it was perfect, but every LED in the output section - the groups and the stereo out all lit up!

It's possible that the Rode output isn't actually balanced at all - but has one of the XLR pins 2 or 3 tied to pin 1 - this would then work fine with unbalanced camera inputs, and still work with cameras with balanced inputs - but phantom would screw it up.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2023, 03:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

C70 Manual: Options for Fan Mode.

[Automatic]:
The fan runs while the camera is on but not recording, and is automatically turned off while the camera is recording. However, if the internal temperature of the camera is too high the fan will be activated automatically. When the camera's temperature has decreased sufficiently, the fan will be turned off.

Use this setting when you do not want the camera to pick up the fan’s operating sound.

Note: But depending on the ambient temperature and other shooting conditions, the fan may not turn off even if you set its operating mode to [Automatic]

Cheers.
Old January 31st, 2023, 01:51 PM   #8
Trustee

I daresay many source devices, like wireless receivers, have internal power supplies that are positive with respect to ground. If these devices have output coupling capacitors that are electrolytic, the capacitors are installed with their positive terminals connected to the internal electronics, and their negative terminals connected to the device's output connector.

If you now connect that source device's output to the input of a device which has phantom power turned on, those coupling capacitors will now have positive voltage (probably +48v, rarely +24v) applied to the capacitors' negative terminals. This will significantly reverse-bias the capacitors. It can produce unpredictable performance including noisy performance from the capacitors (hopefully not catastrophic failure of the capacitors). So it's quite important that the phantom power is turned off in scenarios like this.

I may be showing my age, but this is a good argument for balanced/floating output coupling transformers, rather than only capacitors. (And a transformer will work equally well when feeding a balanced or unbalanced input.)

Just sayin' ...
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2023, 02:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Could be shielding issue on the cable or the receiver. Btw the c70 is xlr input the Rode outputs consumer unbalanced. How are you converting this?
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2023, 01:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Ah, so it may well be squirting 48v up the Rode’s spout! I wonder if the phantom power off mode is still supplying power?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio