ECM-HGZ1 as second option mike at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

ECM-HGZ1 as second option mike

I have a rode video mike for my HC1 but I find the Videomike cumbersome to run around with family and children at the zoo for instance. Would the $50 SONY ECM-HGZ1 be worth considering to improve on the on-camera mike whenever I don't want to carry around the videomike?

Thank you

maximo
Maximo Salaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Major Player

yes, definitely.

The HGZ1 isn't in the league of the videomic as far as sound quality but it's still pretty good and better than the internal mic and should serve well as an easier-to-handle mic in those slightly rough and tumble situations.

I have more or less the same setup, Videomic and Sony HS1 (which is basically HGZ1 mic but fitted for a normal non-AIS shoe).

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #3
New Boot

personally... I wouldn't bother.

I have the HST1 for my HDR-HC1 and the quality of the built-in stereo mic is better (!?!).

I paid €85 for it.. about $100 US, and I'm totally disapointed with it. I mean, i didn't expect a high end mic at this price, but still... it is no improvement on the built-in mic.

In fact, the HST1 picks up much more internal noise (motor hum, etc.) than the internal mic does. Maybe this is because it is more sensitive, and thats what you are paying for... but quality is not improved in my experience.

Unless you find the internal mic really crappy, I'd just stick with it for family outings.... or bring the VideMic along in your back-pack in case you think you'd like to use it.

Hope I'm not being discouraging... I just hate to see someone blow there money and be disapointed like i was.

Maybe someone who actually has the HGZ1 will have a different opinion though.
Andre Dunford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio