All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2003, 02:21 PM   #211
Regular Crew

Well the specs don't look bad at all. It seems to make Behringer usually makes a pretty good product for their price point.
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:11 AM   #212
Major Player

Replacement Mic for DSR-250

Does anybody know of a replacement mic for the one that comes on the DSR-250, that will make it better?

Must be about the same size and use the XLR phantom power like the original does.

The original seems to do a good job, even for interview at 5 feet. However now I want it to primarily pick up the crowd noise.

Any idea?
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM   #213
Major Player

sanken cs-1
sanken cs-3
mkh-416
mkh 60,50
at-835 st
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:55 PM   #214
Major Player

Voiceovers

I'm trying to do a voiceover (narration) on a project in Vegas. I can't get voiceover to show up as a choice (as it shows in the manual). Nor can I get my narration to record. I've hooked up the mic, created a separate audio track, and clicked on the record buttons on the track. It goes through the motions of recording, but no sound is recorded. Can anyone help?
Old January 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM   #215
RED Code Chef

Moved the thread to the more approriate forum.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:58 PM   #216
Regular Crew

Go to "options/preferences/audio device" in Vegas and make sure the correct sound card and driver system is selected. If you are using Windows Sound Mapper, intentionally, then in Windows go to the control panel/audio devices and make sure the correct sound card is selected. Now you can test recording in windows through the windows record tool. If this works and windows sound mapper is selected in Audio Devices section of Vegas, then check your project settings and make sure they're set to an acceptable setting for the input of your sound card.

What sound card/input device are you using? Some may require special drivers to show up properly in Vegas. Some may need to be switched to the Windows device before they will become apparent to Vegas, even if you aren't using Sound Mapper as your Vegas audio device.
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #217
Major Player

JVC mic Info?

hi I thought that i would post a thread to see if anyone knows anything about JVC's MZ-320 superdirectional mic. It is a mic that i got when i bought a mx-500. I wasn't given any specs with this mic and was wondering if anyone new anything about it or where i might be able to find some info on it.
Thanks heaps
Justin
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #218
Trustee

ProTools LE - DV Toolkit?

Hi,

Does anyone here have the DV Toolkit for ProTools LE? I'm thinking about buying it...anyone have suggestions or experience with it?

Thanks!

Murph
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:55 PM   #219
New Boot

mic for dvx100a

I'm about to purchase dvx100a and need a recommendation on a shotgun mic. Would you recommend Panasonic's AGMC100G mic? Is it any good?

It sounds like from the audio forum that ME66 is a high quality mic (albeit overpriced). Would you recommend it for dvx100a? And, if so, which cables do I need for it?

Thank you,
Vincent
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM   #220
Trustee

You get what you pay for. In the scheme of things the ME66 is far from the most expensive.

A good place to start would be the AT 8035, 8097 or the ME66. Skip anything below those if you're serious.
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #221
Inner Circle

Latest Hi-MD bummer

From www.minidisc.org forum:

"Hi-MD Back-compatability Bummer: Sony sources have confirmed that Hi-MD equipment will not upload analog recordings made on existing (aka "std-MD") Minidisc equipment. Is it time for another petition?"

http://forums.minidisc.org/viewtopic.php?t=3692

Frigging Sony.
Old January 24th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #222

That does sorta suck....Sony's position is that it's a legal-protection issue. What's really strange is that Sony's Electronics division builds products that directly can damage Sony's Music and Digital Pictures divisions. And they seem to be selective about what passes and what doesn't.
http://www.vasst.com
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #223
Wrangler

More level questions

Douglas,

I know about the -20, -12 norms.

But let me ask a question here.

I've been delivering 30 second commercials on DVCam to Comcast for a while. I've always set tone at -6 and then allowed the program levels to get up to -7 at peak. This seeming high level was suggested to me by a long-time production house who said that if I did not, the cable channel would likely run the volume too low.

As long as the cable company treats tone as higher than program peak (and I believe they still bump to BetaSP around here) What problem does that generate if any?

Of course, if they have an all-digital chain and are expecting Tone at -20, then it might cause a problem.

But so far, no complaints at all. Anomaly or dumb luck do you think?

Another issue:

Since I don't use commercial S-VHS & VHS decks for duping, a -20 signal level is way too low for reasonable volume levels out of the resulting tapes.

Would you bump the audio levels out of the editing system on the way to the Distribution Amplifier or just temporarily bump output volume up in the editing system?

I don't think it makes any difference but am very glad to be able to ask the questions of you. I'd prefer to take the best approach.

Thanks
Old January 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #224
Trustee

AT4051/4053a sound

I've heard some pretty positive things about these mics. They are spoken in the same catagory as the higher end cardoid and hypercardoid caps. I've heard the 4073 and liked the sound. I wondered if the 4051/4053 was similar.

Scheops and Josephson are always in the lead with the AT's coming in 3rd or close by.

I'm trying to find a place to listen to the mics.

I am still waiting for new capsules for the THE mics as there was a fair bit of hiss compared to others in a lesser catagory.
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #225

I've never worked with the 53 head, but have worked with the 51 head, and it's a great sounding mic. It's not unlike the BK mics. Smooth with a nice, sweet top end, sounds great on a voice or acoustic guitar.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio