Do I really need expensive headphones? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #46
Inner Circle

When I'm on that page I seee a chart with the specifications for a huge list of headphones. Do you not see it?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #47

Grazie,
What Ty is suggesting (and I agree) is that even tho YOUR specific headphones aren't listed, YOUR headphones aren't terribly different from the AKG cans that are listed. Look at the AKG cans that are listed on the Rane page, and use that as a comparison. The values will be fairly close. Maybe you could pick up the phone or email Rane and ask them to update their page to include your specific model. Otherwise, just know that you're very close in relative sensitivity by looking at other AKG headphones in that list.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #48
Old Boot

Bit late! Apologies .. been nursing my Partner . . ! Just given her a bowl of Chicken soup .. .

OK Dokey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
When I'm on that page I seee a chart with the specifications for a huge list of headphones. Do you not see it?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Yes I see the CHART. I see lots of different Cans mentioned. I see AKGs, Sennies . .etc etc But only ONE page. Is/was there "another" and AKG page being mentioned? - Seems not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Grazie,
What Ty is suggesting (and I agree) is that even tho YOUR specific headphones aren't listed, YOUR headphones aren't terribly different from the AKG cans that are listed. Look at the AKG cans that are listed on the Rane page, and use that as a comparison. The values will be fairly close. Maybe you could pick up the phone or email Rane and ask them to update their page to include your specific model. Otherwise, just know that you're very close in relative sensitivity by looking at other AKG headphones in that list.
Thank you Douglas. I didn't "know" that the Sennies would be similar to the AKGs. And yes, now I know this I can compare them to the AKGs. I will take up the constructive observation - I wont phone from London - but I might very well email them. Jolly good idea! Nice to know I've got as sensitive cans as the AKGs - at least I can say something "knowledgeable" and with some authority when/if the subject arises say: "Similar to AKGS range . . ." OR that if I should be working with a chap who HAS AKGs I can be assured that what HE is hearing and what I am hearing, at least in terms of the cans, would be similar. This is as good as it gets, I guess?

Thanks guys.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #49
New Boot

When I was at the Church, I looked up some information on the HD 280 pro.
Impedance 64 ohms (as per IEC 268-7)
Input power 500mw (as per IEC 268-7)
Frequency response 8 Hz - 25 kHz
Sound pressure level 102 dB (as per IEC)
113 dB / 1 V rms
Ambient noise attenuation Max.32 dB
THD < 0.1% (at 51KHz, 100 dB SPL)
Weight approx. 285 g
Contact pressure approx. 6 N
Lynn Earl McDow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Wow. Ty, thanks! Rane seems to confirm industry scuttlebutt that 7506 are reasonably sensitive and Senn. generally not as much.

Grazie, sorry, I guess I won't be visiting your web site ;-(
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #51
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
Wow. Ty, thanks! Rane seems to confirm industry scuttlebutt that 7506 are reasonably sensitive and Senn. generally not as much.

Grazie, sorry, I guess I won't be visiting your web site ;-(

Phew that's handy .. 'cos I aint got one Ahahaha! ! ! . .and I now don't need to construct a table.

Aint that sad - bloke without a website.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #52
Major Player

I picked up some Sennheiser HD280s today for $150 CDN. A friend of mine has them and was telling me about how they "dissect" music but I finally really know what he meant!
Old April 1st, 2006, 06:37 AM   #53
Major Player

7506 vs V6

any idea why the sony 7506 ($100) are the industry standard, when the sony v6 ($70) have a higher freq response (5-30khz compared to 10-20khz) at a cheaper price?

Is the 7506 better (louder) when used with DV cam outputs?

Thanks.

BB
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[url
http://www.rane.com/hc4hp.html[/url]

Ty Ford

Looking at this chart I can't really see much difference between the Sony MDR-7506 and the MDR-V600. Am I missing something?

thanks
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Apparently. Go out on a shoot. See who's wearing what. I think you'll see many more MDR7506. At some point, specs are just specs. There could be many good reasons other than specs.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #56
Inner Circle

What about sealed headphones?

Remote audio offers modified 7506s with special baffling for $285. We had a shoot with a DVX100 in 24p this weekend and the camera headphone output has a really annoying delay. My own little Optura does as well. It makes it difficult tell if the room needs additional treatment. Would it be worth the extra expense, or am I making too much of this? I'll bet I could turn down the volume a little and give my ears a break as well. My hearing is already not so great (too many punk show in high school).
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Good point. It took me a while to figure out that the DVX100a had to be in 24P before the delay was heard. VERY off-putting. I already get enough phase weirdness from headphones and live action.

Ty Ford
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Apparently. Go out on a shoot. See who's wearing what. I think you'll see many more MDR7506. At some point, specs are just specs. There could be many good reasons other than specs.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I was talking to a local DJ about headphones and he mentioned that he switched from the 7506 to the V600 because he felt that they were a little more comfortable. Also that he has not noticed any difference in performance. That is why I was looking at the spec. I wonder how many others have actually used both and if so could you please give a comparison.

Thanks

Don
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #59
Major Player

MDR-v6

If you like the sony 7506 ($100), you might want to check out the sony V6 ($70). They have a higher freq response, 5-30khz compared to 10-20khz.

(this is not the same set as the sony V600)

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/003955.html
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boosinger
I was talking to a local DJ about headphones and he mentioned that he switched from the 7506 to the V600 because he felt that they were a little more comfortable. Also that he has not noticed any difference in performance. That is why I was looking at the spec. I wonder how many others have actually used both and if so could you please give a comparison.

Thanks

Don
Um, local DJ's don't DO location audio.

You don't need encyclopedic research to buy the right headphones for location audio.

You don't see V600s on movie sets. You see 7506. If V600s were good on set, the entire location audio industry would trash their MDR7506 and buy them.

Buy the 7506 and get to work.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio