Do I really need expensive headphones? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 4th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bobson
If you like the sony 7506 ($100), you might want to check out the sony V6 ($70). They have a higher freq response, 5-30khz compared to 10-20khz.

(this is not the same set as the sony V600)

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/003955.html
Thanks Robert
I will consider them. Right now I do not have any likes or dislikes, I'm just trying not to purchase the same thing twice. Beginning to sound as if they are all "good".

Don
Don Boosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:46 AM   #62
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford
Actually, Rane used to publish a sheet on headphone frequeny response, impedance and sensitivity......

TA DAA! AS IF BY MAGIC!!!!

http://www.rane.com/hc4hp.html

Ty Ford
I was expecting to see frequency response graphs, unless
I'm missing it. I have seen these type of graphs at
one of those headphone sites.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #63

Dunno about the V6, but the 600's are dull by comparison to the 7506. It's a standard because everybody uses them, not because they're the best. They provide a conversational benchmark that virtually everyone can relate to, because they all use them. If you stand alone, if you aren't needing that benchmark from which you can gauge what you're hearing...then you'll be fine with just about anything else. If you need to converse about audio with another audio guy, you really ought to consider benchmarks.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #64
Major Player

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Hmm. How does the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro compare to the Sony MDR 7506? They are sound isolating units.

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; March 4th, 2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
Hmm. How does the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro compare to the Sony MDR 7506? They are sound isolating units.
In my opinion, which is not an expert one, I think they are extremely close in quality, and I probably prefer the Senheisers. I have both sets of headphones and I think that if there is a noticable difference in quality, the Senheisers are better.

I also think they're built better in terms of durability and practicality.
Old March 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
I just bought a second pair they are true sounding very comfortable and on sale for under $75 at B&H.
Yes, they isolate you from ambient sounds but not completely.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
In my opinion, which is not an expert one, I think they are extremely close in quality, and I probably prefer the Senheisers. I have both sets of headphones and I think that if there is a noticable difference in quality, the Senheisers are better.

I also think they're built better in terms of durability and practicality.
With all due respect. Sony MDR 7506 are pretty much the standard for location audio in the US. Because they hold up, because they fold up because they sound good, because they are comfortable and because they tell you what's going on.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #68
Major Player

One additional consideration:

do you wear eyeglasses?

This may seem picky to some, but I've noticed it.

I do, (can't wear contacts for medical reasons), and I've found that the biggest drawback to most phones is that they never fit quite well enough over my ears. The earpieces from my glasses always leave a small space that allows outside noise to intrude. Personally, I prefer the "feel" of full-sized phones, but that small space and intruding sound are leading me to consider in-the-ear - rather than over-the-ear - phones. It seems that even "isolating" phones would lose effectiveness for someone wearing eyeglasses, or even sunglasses

I notice it, too, when wearing protective earphones while working with motorized household power tools, e.g. electric saw, lawn mower, etc. and I'm chewing gum or sucking on a mint: as my jaw moves, it opens a small space around my temples, allowing more sound in. For those situations, I've taken to using earplugs inside the protective phones.

Again, it may seem picky to some, but I've certainly found it noticeable.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko View Post
do you wear eyeglasses?
Yes I do.

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Quote:
I own two pairs of the Senns (home & work) and have compared them back to back with the Sonys before buying. I owned a pair of 7502s for years, so the 7506 sound was instantly familiar.

To my ears the Senns are flatter and more natural. The Sonys are a bit scooped and are sweeter. I think the Senns are also a bit more rugged - at least the ear foams are. Both fold up. The Sonys are a bit more comfortable in that they don't clamp as hard. Both are excellent values.

For mixing or listening for accuracy, I prefer the Senns. They color the sound less than the Sonys. (Quick note on mixing with headphones: they don't give an accurate image, and they make small details stand out; however, they give a consistent frequency response in an untreated room for under $100. Use them to double-check a mix, or when you have no choice, but good monitors in a treated room are highly preferred.)

However, for tracking in the studio, or field recording, the Sonys have the advantage of being able to cut through the ambient sound better, due to the scoop. The Sony's would be better for casual listening as well.

Choose the model based on your primary application.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #71
Major Player

7506 vs sony king of audio headphones

I tried a pair of sony Sony MDR 7506 headphones a couple days ago. A fellow XH-A1 shooter had them on set and I had my Sennheiser HD280 pros.

The Senns cut you off from the world, the Sonys let you hear whats happening around you, like when the director wants something.

That's enough for me. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. I'll be creative with my shooting and use the senns when I want to listen online and not hear my neighbors dogs bark.

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; March 27th, 2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: correction
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #72
Inner Circle

I actually wish the 7506s had better isolation. It's very important that what you hear in the headset is what's recording to tape. Sometimes when I'm close to the speaker I can hear their voice directly, and it makes it difficult to tell if echo is a problem or not. There's often a slight delay in the sound, especially with a DVX100, and if you're hearing the headphone amplifier and the actor directly you can drive yourself mad trying to figure out if you're hearing reverb or not. Also, with better isloated headphones you can turn the volume down more and save your ears, not to mention less chance of feedback from the mic. As far as hearing what's going on, learn to use the mic as your onset ears. It will surprise you what you hear when nobody notices the mic just behind or next to them.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
I actually wish the 7506s had better isolation.
Remote Audio sells 7506s with custom isolation.

http://remoteaudio.com/hn7506.htm
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've seen those and I want 'em badly. They're pricey though.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
With all due respect. Sony MDR 7506 are pretty much the standard for location audio in the US. Because they hold up, because they fold up because they sound good, because they are comfortable and because they tell you what's going on.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I own the Sennheisers and my school owns the Sonys. They both sound fine; I don't really think it matters much.

That said, if I had to choose again, purely for monitoring video, I might get the Sonys. They fold up well, are durable, and they sound great. I like the isolation of the Sennheisers, though...but I use my Shure e4cs more and more now for just listening to music and even video editing and they are more isolating. But I'd never use them in the field, even though I suppose they'd be appropriate.

Either headphone will be fine. The Sonys are the standard, though.
Matthew Wauhkonen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio