Adobe Audition 2.0 out now! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Adobe Audition 2.0 out now!

I had no idea they'd be answering so many of my prayers but this version, unless it proves to be incredibly buggy, is everything I ever wanted Cool Edit to be.

ASIO, my friends!

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/newfeatures.html
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice little Shockwave video intro to its new features:

http://www.adobe.com/products/auditi...ion_movie.html

Wait for it to load... :)
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Yawn. The one thing demoed for Audition that looked cool was the glitch remover and the clipping repair -- not that I'd need it, but... I had Cool Edit 2000 for a long time before getting Audition 1.5, and it does all I need. I just can't justify repurchasing this. Frankly, all the "2.0" stuff should be a free upgrade to those of use who got the latest Adobe-ware in the past couple of years.
Old January 17th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

Well, everyone has their own needs and own opinions. Doug gets to save his money. I'll be spending mine -- just a few of the major enhancements mentioned in the little Total Training clip would have saved me hours of work on my last project.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
Yawn. The one thing demoed for Audition that looked cool was the glitch remover and the clipping repair -- not that I'd need it, but... I had Cool Edit 2000 for a long time before getting Audition 1.5, and it does all I need. I just can't justify repurchasing this. Frankly, all the "2.0" stuff should be a free upgrade to those of use who got the latest Adobe-ware in the past couple of years.
This version is definitely worth paying for. I thought going from 1.0 to 1.5 wasn't. The only thing I had to gain was rewire but I didn't use any other audio software to make it useful to me. Then there was the integrated CD burning thing but that was a free plug-in from Syntrillium days...

ASIO lets you use motorized faders amongst other things that are only available with professional DAW interfaces. Plus it is now truly a zero latency audio package.
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Finton
ASIO lets you use motorized faders amongst other things that are only available with professional DAW interfaces. Plus it is now truly a zero latency audio package.
Not quite. There is still latency. ASIO goes a long way to diminishing latency, but latency will always exist, it has to. However, getting it below 5ms is a good thing, as anything in the sub 2ms range isn't really audible on even the fastest percussives.

ASIO doesn't have anything to do with whether you can have motorized faders or not. That's an MTC or other open command point. Sony Vegas for instance, had motorized fader access with the Mackie Control Universal and other motorized devices long before ASIO existed in their workflow. ASIO simply makes it more efficient to get the data in/out.

Audition 2.0 is a good tool, I dunno if it's worth it as a full-time audio package, but they've done a good job with it, IMO. Still has a long, long way to go until it matches up with Vegas, Sonar, or CuBase tho.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Not quite. There is still latency. ASIO goes a long way to diminishing latency, but latency will always exist, it has to. However, getting it below 5ms is a good thing, as anything in the sub 2ms range isn't really audible on even the fastest percussives.

ASIO doesn't have anything to do with whether you can have motorized faders or not. That's an MTC or other open command point. Sony Vegas for instance, had motorized fader access with the Mackie Control Universal and other motorized devices long before ASIO existed in their workflow. ASIO simply makes it more efficient to get the data in/out.

Audition 2.0 is a good tool, I dunno if it's worth it as a full-time audio package, but they've done a good job with it, IMO. Still has a long, long way to go until it matches up with Vegas, Sonar, or CuBase tho.

By motorized faders, I meant due to its ASIO support it will allow you access to more professional audio interfaces that have features such as motorized faders. I pretty much gave up even dreaming about a better recording interface due to Audition's lack of ASIO support. But now I believe I will be in the market for something. Time to troll equipment once again... :)
Old January 27th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Major Player

I got it 2 days ago!

I am VERY impressed.

I can't explain it.

My computer finally has found it's "special purpose".
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio