Sennheiser G2 - Which MHz? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 26th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser G2 - Which MHz?

I am looking into buying a Sennheiser G2 100 kit, and they have about a dozen different sets of the same model at B&H. The only difference I can see in any of them is the MHz range and the channel set (A, B, C) - they're all slightly different. The top seller one according to them is the (A 518-554 MHz). Can anybody clue me in to how much difference there is between all of the models?

I've been reading and searching the board for a while and can't seem to come up with an answer. Apologies to everyone if this has been asked before. Thanks,

Steve
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sirinides
I am looking into buying a Sennheiser G2 100 kit, and they have about a dozen different sets of the same model at B&H. The only difference I can see in any of them is the MHz range and the channel set (A, B, C) - they're all slightly different. The top seller one according to them is the (A 518-554 MHz). Can anybody clue me in to how much difference there is between all of the models?

I've been reading and searching the board for a while and can't seem to come up with an answer. Apologies to everyone if this has been asked before. Thanks,

Steve
They are identical except for the frequency range. You need to pick the range that is a: legal for wireless mics in Greece; and b: reasonably free from interference from other radio services like TV broadcasting in the same frequency range.

For what it's worth, there's a frequency guide on the Senn website

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...y-check_greece

you might look over
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Steve. A follow-up question - why do they even have illegal frequencies? In Greece it states that the legal frequencies for users from abroad is "790-822, no official limitations".

Greece is really loose about just about every law they make, so I don't really have any fear of that kind. But will a frequency outside of what they give turn out better for me or worse? Thanks for the info. I'll search the boards for other input.

Steve
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sirinides
Thanks for the info, Steve. A follow-up question - why do they even have illegal frequencies? In Greece it states that the legal frequencies for users from abroad is "790-822, no official limitations".

Greece is really loose about just about every law they make, so I don't really have any fear of that kind. But will a frequency outside of what they give turn out better for me or worse? Thanks for the info. I'll search the boards for other input.

Steve
I'd have no idea what the results would be if you used a frequency outside the legal band. It depends on whether you get caught and what the Greek government's attitude towards it is. Probably not very likely you would ever be caught and even if you were not much would likely happen at all. A far more important issue is that you're likely to find other radio traffic on those frequencies that could interfere - last thing you want is for your talent to be approaching a crucial moment in the dialog and suddenly your mic's signal is overridden by a nearby taxi calling his dispatcher at the Athens cab company or something like that. Your best bet is to contact a local professional sound equipment dealer and discuss the issues with him.
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Good call, Steve, I think I'll just try that (talk to a local shop). Greece is a pretty haphazard country - I'm sure I would find a taxi driver using an illegal frequency, and I'm equally sure the local shop won't give me any useful info unless I buy something from them.

I also read another post where someone said that Sennheiser often gets emails about people who have had their wireless systems confiscated at customs (in the States especially, from what I read) because they are setup for illegal frequencies. I don't think I'd have the same problem bringing one from the States back to Greece, but I'd better make sure the system I get is compatible with both countries.

They don't make this easy, do they?
Steve Sirinides is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio