audio in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 5th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Tourist

audio in post

does anyone know if intermitent noise from a lav mic ( movement of clothing against cord or mic) can be reduced in post. If so, is there a software program for it or should it be sent out to a professional sound production company? Thanks.
Dominic Dorigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If the noise is in between words you should be able to reduce the noise by grabbing a sample of it and then running the audio thru a Noise Reduction Program.
If its behind some of the actual voices you will have a much tougher time getting the noise out but you might be able to reduce it some by using the NR program.

Sony Noise Reduction, Audition are 2 that come to mind also Magix Audio Editior and possibly Audacity.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You could just go in and remove it manually - if it is intermittant, noise removal probably won't work. EQ might help reduce the noise a bit. Personally I would remove it manually and put some second track over the parts you removed or attenuated to hide the sudden drop out of audio.
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Major Player

As Don said, if you can grab a sample of it from between words you can use that as a filter for the entire file. It might not be perfect, and depending upon the voice qualities (how close it matches the "noise") it might work fine.

Shareware www.goldwave.com does this nicely. i keep it on my system for that very reason. It is a fully functional version but you only get som many mouse clicks before you have to restart. It's a small program, easy download and you can try it free.

I have used Audacity for that as well, but find it's a bit more cumbersome.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

FCP / Soundtrack Pro

..and if you're using Final Cut Studio on a Mac, you may find Soundtrack Pro does the trick. If the noise is consistent in 'shape' then there's a function in Soundtrack Pro which subtracts the sound print of the noise, but it requires that you can get a clean sample of the noise to start with - in between words for example..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Major Player

I've had that problem recently also.
The problem can be somewhat solved if you had a lapel mic on one channle and the camera mic on the other.

There is a tedious fix, but if the clothing "rustle" carries over on top of the speaking, you have a problem. Using a program like PEAK or similar, you can go through the entire piece and delete audio in between words. I do this for Voice over sessions. I remove any breathes and noise to clean up the files. Problem is you need to be aware of the waveform and careful not to delete any syllables. A mixture of silencing / and fading in/out at the end of words can soften the transitions.

You'll want to sample some "room tone" to loop behind the voice track so that the listener doesn't notice the changes. Will there be music behind your video? That helps. Room tone is where you record a minute or so of the room noise before or after the video take. This is what you use for the background loop. If you didn't do that, see if you have room tone from the camera mic.
Remember- video or audio is a "garbage in-garbage out" process.

J Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio