Owners of the Rode NTG-2, I have a question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Owners of the Rode NTG-2, I have a question...

I got my mic today brand new and after taking it for a test drive, I"m blown away by how powerful it is...however, I do have one question:

When you screw / unscrew the battery compartment does it sound and feel like you're grinding rock against concrete? It's very rough, not like any screw-on I've ever felt but I was wondering if the mic was just build like this.

Also, if you unscrew the compartment, you'll see residue of little gold flakes that look like the result of grinding metal against metal.

If it's normal, I'll deal with it but I cringe every time I screw / unscrew the compartment thinking I'm grinding the threads down to nothing.
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dodgy threads.

This sounds like there is metal swarf left in the threads,or worse still,crossed threads.The screw action should be nice and smooth .With your problem things will only get worse if you continue using as is. Open the battery hatch then blow the threads to remove any particles,then wipe the threads and see if they look ragged on the edges.If they do,I would return the unit and get a replacement.The threads are so fine,any damage will lead to jamming or slipping before very long.They probably left a small particle of metal swarf on the threads after manufacture and its caught up and damaged the thread crowns.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barker
This sounds like there is metal swarf left in the threads,or worse still,crossed threads.The screw action should be nice and smooth .With your problem things will only get worse if you continue using as is. Open the battery hatch then blow the threads to remove any particles,then wipe the threads and see if they look ragged on the edges.If they do,I would return the unit and get a replacement.The threads are so fine,any damage will lead to jamming or slipping before very long.They probably left a small particle of metal swarf on the threads after manufacture and its caught up and damaged the thread crowns.

Thanks! I took a damp paper towel and ran it along the outter threads and again in the inner threads, and found a bunch of metal particles. After making 5 or 6 passes on each thread it seems to be much much smoother now. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Adam La Prade; May 1st, 2006 at 08:04 PM.
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio