Shotgun and wireless mics for A1U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #16
New Boot

Shotgun Finalised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
If you use the Rode NTG-2, or basically any other shotgun microphone indoors, you get the infamous "empty box" sound. Or hollow sound in other words. This is the result of the sound bouncing from the walls. Hypercardoids or cardoids are less directional and thus this effect is practically gone. I am going to buy the Rode NT-3 at a later point in time to complement the NTG-2. THe NT-3 will then be my indoor microphone and the NTG-2 my outdoor microphone. But the NTG-2 is far better indoors then any onboard microphone. I also found that at parties or birthdays (places with sound coming from many directions), the "empty box" effect is virtually gone. I use the windshield that came with the NTG-2, which is simple but effective. I am going to buy the Rode Deadcat, but when I placed an order for a camera bag, it was out of stock.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks to all of you for your great feedback, this has been highly appreciated. I have now decided, and will end up with a Rode NTG-2 Kit from B&H, and also the Deadcat from Sweetwater dot com. All I have to now, is buy the A1U...still trying to find a deal on that...

Floris, thanks for explaining the sound one gets when interviewing indoors. If there will be any money left, once I get the camera, I will look into the NT-3.

Have a great weekend.

Peace,

Jarle
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarle Jorgensen
Thanks to all of you for your great feedback, this has been highly appreciated. I have now decided, and will end up with a Rode NTG-2 Kit from B&H, and also the Deadcat from Sweetwater dot com. All I have to now, is buy the A1U...still trying to find a deal on that...

Floris, thanks for explaining the sound one gets when interviewing indoors. If there will be any money left, once I get the camera, I will look into the NT-3.

Have a great weekend.

Peace,

Jarle
The $500 rebate is a nice deal IMHO. Still comes out to approx $1900 but well worth it.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
The $500 rebate is a nice deal IMHO. Still comes out to approx $1900 but well worth it.
Found a camera last night, at www.bestpricecameras.com, for $1614 including ground shipping...and it comes with a video light. not sure of the quality of the light, so have to check that one out...can't beat that...
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Major Player

$1614 for an A1U seems suspiciously cheap to me.
Personally, i'd stick with B&H Photo.

I'd be fairly scpetical of any seller that can undercut a B&H price by a substantial amount, like the site you mentioned. Caveat emptor and all that...
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Found a camera last night, at www.bestpricecameras.com, for $1614 including ground shipping...and it comes with a video light
I can't believe people can be so trusting. You have to be very suspicious of prices that are too good to be true. They have no shop. They are in Brooklyn, NY, USA. Massive alarm bells are ringing.

Look at www.resellerratings.com and you'll find they have an amazing customer satisfaction rating of 0.04 out of 10. In the customer comments there are consistently shocking stories. It's incredible that they can have the cheek to ask for someone's credit card PIN. It troubles me deeply that some people may actually divulge their PIN.

Don't believe anything you read on the Internet. In fact why believe me? Check it out for yourself.
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Pearce
I can't believe people can be so trusting. You have to be very suspicious of prices that are too good to be true. They have no shop. They are in Brooklyn, NY, USA. Massive alarm bells are ringing.

Look at www.resellerratings.com and you'll find they have an amazing customer satisfaction rating of 0.04 out of 10. In the customer comments there are consistently shocking stories. It's incredible that they can have the cheek to ask for someone's credit card PIN. It troubles me deeply that some people may actually divulge their PIN.

Don't believe anything you read on the Internet. In fact why believe me? Check it out for yourself.
Wow, thanks Colin...I will call them tomorrow and cancel my order...
thanks for providing the web page...Very unfortunate that businesses like this, are able to put people astray...Unfortunate though, I had hoped to save some money...and went out and bought a wireless system. Now I have all sound, and no camera...haha
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #22
New Boot

Does anyone of you know anything about www.globalmediapro.com? They have the A1U at $1980 (https://www.globalmediapro.com/do/product/1322/). I would go through B&H, but my problem is that I will not be around for when the rebate returns. I have received rebates before, and from my experience they take a long time to get back to you.

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:05 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Does anyone of you know anything about www.globalmediapro.com?
Global Media Pro is in New Zealand. Search these DVinfo forums to see people's comments about them.
Colin Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:23 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Does anyone of you know anything about www.globalmediapro.com? They have the A1U at $1980 (https://www.globalmediapro.com/do/product/1322/). I would go through B&H, but my problem is that I will not be around for when the rebate returns. I have received rebates before, and from my experience they take a long time to get back to you.

Thanks!
Jarie,

DVINFO has taken the time to line up sponsors that will take care of you. Their prices are reasonable and you get peace of mind. For most folks in this business, time is money. Therefore, the less time spent chasing down a 'good deal', the more money saved.

I encourage you to use our sponsors because they keep this site in operation as a free resourse to you. For that reason, we also give those sponsors of the site 'exclusive' referral on where to buy questions. Please don't continue to discuss other non-DVINFO sponsors on the forum.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
I have received rebates before, and from my experience they take a long time to get back to you.

Thanks!
There are sme threads on this board where they talk about this rebate. I think some people got their rebate within 2-4weeks (by memory). Do a search and you should find the info.
Also, if you gave your CC number to these people in Brooklyn,NYC, i'd be *very* concerned even if you have cancelled your order. That, ahh, won't count for much. (This is just my opinion...)
Personally i'd cancel the card completely. There's a lot of dodgy people in the world who will try anything to get their hands on your money by whatever means possible. Healthy does of cynicism required...
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:44 AM   #26
New Boot

I have now canceled my order with the A1U, and ordered it from a sponsor store of the DVinfo. Hopefully, I should not have any troubles with regarsd to the no good store.

Thanks again to all of you for your great help.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Jarle
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I ordered my first GL1 with one of those low cost companies, only to be told that it was on backorder, but would I like to go with an XL1 instead? For a few thousand more, of course.

I can't speak about the company you were dealing with, but the one I encountered was typical bait and switch. I cancelled my order pronto and went with a reputable place.

As for a wireless setup, I bought the Samson Micro32 from B & H. UHF, 32 channels. Inexpensive and works like a charm. I was actually surprised by how good it sounds and it's perfect for the A1U.

My only complaint is that the receiver doesn't come with a mount. I had to use the velcro strips it came with. Not terrible, but not great either.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:56 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gregory-Browne
I ordered my first GL1 with one of those low cost companies, only to be told that it was on backorder, but would I like to go with an XL1 instead? For a few thousand more, of course.

As for a wireless setup, I bought the Samson Micro32 from B & H. UHF, 32 channels. Inexpensive and works like a charm. I was actually surprised by how good it sounds and it's perfect for the A1U.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input.
Was able to get my order canceled and received an email, veryfying this. What it cost me, was time, and $1 withdrawn from my bank account. It was an interesting experince. However, ordered the camera from a sponsor, and I should receive this soon.
With regards to wireless, I ended up getting a good deal, on the Sennheiser Evo100, which should be a great set up. Honestly, I only looked at Sennheiser for Wireless, but I am glad that you are happy with your Samson.

Keep shooting

Jarle
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #29
Major Player

Is the rhode Nt-3 a mic used for mounting on a camcorder?
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Zlam
Is the rhode Nt-3 a mic used for mounting on a camcorder?
I wouldn't know...I'll have to try and see when I get it...
Does anyone else know?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio