Radio mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Radio mics

Quick question for you audio experts! I live in Ireland, im travelling to the states soon where I plan on purchasing some Sennhiser radio mics (transmitter & receiver) my question is, will these work back in Ireland or is the frequency different in the states?

Sorry this may sound like a stupid question my audio knowledge is not very good. Cheers.
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #2
New Boot

The G2 system has a wide array of freqs to choose from so should not be a problen and cost around AU $1000 per channel.
Mark Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:57 AM   #3
New Boot

The "Tourist" also should have mentioned G2 is Sennheiser's latest entry into the wireless market but is not really "pro" ie non diversity and prone to occasional dropouts hence the price as its aimed at the lower end of the "pro" market and has limitations but is good for most DV apps
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

so do you reckon it will work in ireland then?
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes. It'll also work on the moon and under water.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #6
New Boot

Re Rads workin In Ireland

Dennis
Whatever location you have banks of freqs to work with so move around and see what works
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #7
New Boot

Re Rads

Dennis

Having said that I think the G2 Senns are the best for the price along with Sony's offering in the same field for relatively cheap rads as they do most things admirably but fall short in some loc apps( occ dropouts) that may not be pertinent to your app. PS I have had some dropouts that were ratheing embarising but in ENG there's little "can we go again"....
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

just rang Senns there who said the ones i bought in the states would not work in ireland so a couple of you guys or wrong im afraid...
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9
Major Player

freqs

The mics will work anywhere, I believe if you have both the transmitter and the receiver set on the same frequency. I have used mine world wide. The only problem is local RF interference. At 11,000 feet in the Peruvian Andes, the local cops were on the same freq and blew me out. (When you're able, use a cable).
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

well senns said they wont, im no expert but i think you guys are on a UHF freq where as we work off a VHF freq??
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
(When you're able, use a cable).
Sound advice (pun intended) that unfortunately is heeded far, far too little.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

does anyone for definite as i can save over 300 bucks if i buy them in the states?? surely senns cant be wrong??
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #13

I'm quite sure they are right. Frequency plans vary from country to country. I know I can't use my UHF systems in England, but can in Sweden. Serious problems in Germany on several frequencies, totally usable in Russia on virtually all frequencies. In Brazil, can't use my UHF systems at all, but could use them in Argentina. We carry 6 in our rack, so it's even more complicated, but bottom line is, you need a frequency management plan before going overseas. The same would apply buying from the US for use overseas.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks DSE
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Major Player

There is "working", and then there is "legally working". If you transmit on a frequency, ANY frequency, and set the reciever to pick up THAT frequency, it will "work". Even on Venus. :-) Sennheiser probably said the US units won't "work" because they know that the frequencies loaded in the US units may not be acceptable for use in other contries. The open channels in the US could very easily be emergency communications, broadcast, or even hotel housekeeping in other countries around the world. Penalties for broadcasting (even for low power wireless mics) on unauthorized channels vary by country. Chances of getting busted on a 30mW transmission are probably pretty slim, but if caught the entire world seems to agree that "ignorance of the law is no excuse". Do yourself a favor and find out from the country you plan on using equipment in, what the regulations and proper channels are. If those laws include a portion of channels in US equipment, you'll be golden.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio