Audio Mastering Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Audio Mastering Question

I am mastering several language audio CDs. For the final step I am using a Waves L1+ maximiser plug-in. I am doing this to increase the level of the program slightly (less than 2.5 db). The output of the L1 will be -.5 db. My question is...Will this create any problems in replication, the level is always .5 under 0, but when I see the flat wave form at the peaks, I start to get concerned. Just thout I would throw this out to the audio experts on DVi before I reach the final step. The audio sounds great, but I do not want to get a call from the plant regarding a problem with my master. Thanks .
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

ok, first, how does it sound?
If it sounds ok with you then it might be ok.
It is very safe to set the ceiling on the limiter to -.3 - -5dbfs. Avoid going straght for 0 dbfs. This is because some lower quality DAC's on some players will clip even in -.2 or -.1.
Other than that, just check the reduction meter in the waves L1. How much db's of compression are you gettin? 2, 3, 4 might be ok.
The waveform might look like a brick sometimes when you are all zoomed out. Try to zoom in, if there are not very extreme shuts, then you should be ok. This won't affect replication either. Its not like the old LP's. Its just data, I don't think you will get into problems.
Berns Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #3

.05dB is usually safe, but bear in mind that systems with oversampling may create distortion. Our masters typically are -1dB these days, but for a couple years, our house standard was -.02dB. We had a few complaints, so have now settled in at -1dB.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

I think I will use the -1db rule. Want got me concered was listening to a CD from a previous version that was sent to the plant clean, but the CD copy sounded clipped and in fact goes red on my ProTools meters. I know it was not sent like that. It even has hiss and the EQ sounds off. This was done in Hong Kong so we had very little control of the product. Thanks for the heads up on the headroom!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, if you're using dither, make sure you check your meters with dither on before doing the final bounce. Dither will add some level wich might be also another reason why you get clips.
Berns Ortiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio