where can I find some good crowd sound files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 5th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Major Player

where can I find some good crowd sound files?

I'll try to keep the back story short. So I have this client who I videotaped a live show for, but the problem is, nobody showed up and the reason he wanted to shoot it was to get some sponsors for the next year event, but he's afraid having nobody in there will have a negative effect on his sponsorship hunt.

So he asked me to shoot an other crowd (which was done, it was an outside concert and luckily during National Holiday here so there were many outside concerts) and edit that with the live performance to make it look like there were a lot of people present at the show (please no comment on the merit and ethics of such a practice, I'm not thrilled with the idea, but bottom line is the client wants it and I'm there to make it work).

So now I have the crowd but no live sound (I couldn't record the audio while shooting the crowd, there was constant music in the background). I've been looking around on the Internet to find some realistic and nicely fitting crowd sound files that could help me reconstruct the ambiance. But all I found was short 5-6 sec. clips which looped over a 2 hour event would probably sound silly.

I need something fairly longer than that. I probably need a constant and long lasting neutral crowd roar, a few crowd cheers to put between the songs and some clapping, and all that has to be from a crowd of about 2000 persons (so a live football game crowd for example would not work).

Any idea where I can find all this? Free files would be ideal, but I doubt it's possible, and I'm ready to pay if that's what it takes, I need to get that done sooner than later.

Thanks for any input.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

sounddogs.com has some shorts in mp3 that you can listen to, but if you look carefully you'll see that their efx for purchase are much longer and higher quality. If I remember, these sorts of efx range from about $6 to $20 USD, not that expensive when you really need them.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Major Player

I agree, Sounddogs.com. I just completed a project and used about 50 effects from them. They offer SFX from multiple libraries. Crowd effects are pretty cheap. I have been down loading aif files and the quality is great. You can select the duration of the effect you want and the cost is pro-rated. Their customer service is good too. Love Da Dogs!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the tip Glenn and Seth I'll have a look at it!
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yeah sounddogs.com is the place to go. I made this short 2 semesters ago which involve 2 fight scenes. I went to sounddogs and got a whole bunch of fighting sound effects. They could sound better of course but it was surprisingly effective. They have a lot of stuff in there too.
Martin Taidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Wrangler

what NLE do you use? soundtrack has a several crowd noise .aiff files. even imovie has one....

also, just doing a straight up live recording of this at a farmer's market or local festival might be good. where i live, they are fiesta-ing constantly, at least every week.....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm using PPro 2.0.

I know that recording live might be a good idea but unfortunatelly I'm too short on time to find a proper sized crowd and spend some time there recording them.

I need to have this completed by Monday and I suspect integrating this crowd with the event I shot will be quite the challenge as there really was nobody there.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio