SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
I have a similar question. I have 2 of the EW-100 G2 mic transmitters. So they don't provide any phantom power
?

Can I assume that any mic plugged into any of the G2 EW-100 systems is a dynamic mic?

I what to be able to use the plug in mic transmitter with a lav mic, for example. They just sit around most of the time and maybe with an 1/8" to xlr adapter I could make use of them?

That way I'd just find a used receiver, and add to my capabilities.
To use a dynamic mic. with the SK 100 transmitter you will need a special cable.

The SK 100 puts out 5V DC plug-in-power voltage to power an electret tie microphone (eg: ME 2) - so - to use a dynamic mic. you will need a special cable that includes DC blocking capacitors in the XLR to prevent this DC voltage getting into the microphone.
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Major Player

Re: SK 100 transmitter work with dynamic mics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Largent View Post
The bodypack transmitter works with a handheld
dynamic just fine. You just need the XLR-to-locking 1/8" adapter that Senn sells. Costs around $20 or so.
I've done it. I would say it works, but a lot less than fine. The problem is that the dynamic mic signal needs a lot of amplification, which puts the bodypack transmitter at the upper end of it's capabilities. Which makes for a noisy result.

Far better, cleaner result comes from the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618848-REG/Sennheiser_SKP_100_G3_A_SKP_100_G3_Plug_on.html that's designed for exactly this use. Much better resulting signal. If you want professional sounding wireless audio using a dynamic mic, use the SKP 100 plug-in. Really.

Last edited by Bruce Watson; April 18th, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add link
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio