Digital audio recorders? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 13th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #91
Trustee

Thinking more and more about this Zoom H4 I have found on several sites:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1901

Anyone actually using one yet?

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #92
Trustee

I don't think the Zoom is out yet. My #1 question
about that one would be how much hiss, or other
electrical noise, does it inject into the recording.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #93
Contributor

Same here. I find it odd that they don't list any specs.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #94
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Same here. I find it odd that they don't list any specs.

Samson, generally, is not known for having
low-noise audio devices. I'll let someone
else try the Zoom first. Even the name of
it sounds "consumerish".
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #95
Regular Crew

I've been thinking to buy either Tascam hd p2 or M-audio micro track, but now I gotta wait for zoom h4. I'd like to have more info about it, but so far can't find any.
I hope somebody tries it soon.
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #96
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Burdiladze
I've been thinking to buy either Tascam hd p2 or M-audio micro track, but now I gotta wait for zoom h4. I'd like to have more info about it, but so far can't find any.
I hope somebody tries it soon.
Here's the PDF manual for it if you would like to look through it.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/r.../H4_manual.pdf

Quite a few interesting things in it. Take a look.
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Here's the PDF manual for it if you would like to look through it.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/r.../H4_manual.pdf

Quite a few interesting things in it. Take a look.
thanks for the info Michael, I'll definitely take a look, but since you probably know more than me in this field, would you rather recommend M-audio or Zoom?
Victor Burdiladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #98
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Burdiladze
thanks for the info Michael, I'll definitely take a look, but since you probably know more than me in this field, would you rather recommend M-audio or Zoom?
I currently own teh Microtrack, Edirol R-09 and ahve teh Zoom H4 on pre order (should have it in a week or so).

Right now today, I would purchase teh R-09 before the Microtrack, no doubt about it.
Can't say about the H4 yet, but it looks very promissing as well, and I wouldn't be supprised if it works just as well as the R-09 and better than the Microtrack.
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #99
Trustee

I'm reallyhappy with my Edirol R-09. I noticed that the Zoom doesn't allow you to record 4 tracks simultaneously. If not, i wouldn't be interested in it.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #100
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
I'm reallyhappy with my Edirol R-09. I noticed that the Zoom doesn't allow you to record 4 tracks simultaneously. If not, i wouldn't be interested in it.
Bruce S. Yarock
Don't get me wrong, I love the R-09 as well. It's much more intuative and stable than my Microtrack. Yes it's a shame that teh Zoom H4 doesn't have real time 4 track recording, but it does have quite a bit going for it, like the built in balanced dual 1/4 XLR inputs and true 48v phantom power. It's also $100 less than either the Microtrack or R-09.
Of course the real test is how it operates in the field (as I'm real curious to see the quility of the built in limiters and preamps). But I won't know that until I receive my unit.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #101
Contributor

I'm happy withe Microtrack. As I've posted in other threads, I bought the Marantz 660 first but found it's mic level inputs too noisy to be used for recording voice over interviews. The Microtrack is fine for that purpose. I've been using it with an old wired Sennheiser lav, with an XLR-1/4" adapter. I've recently bought a Sennheiser wireless, the 100 series which sounds amazingly good for such a cheap ($500) wireless.

The Microtrack is a little strange, but once you get accustomed to it, it's OK. You may, for example, think it's charging its battery when plugged in to a USB port, but that isn't happening, and if you leave it plugged in to the USB, it stays on and drains power. I don't have any problem with the internal battery life, but if you plan on recording really long sessions, it might be a good idea to get one of those little USB battery packs. I've seen one at Comprehensive for under 10 bucks that uses AA batteries.

Had I not needed the recorder in a hurry, I would have waited till that new Fostex is available (December). It's the same price and looks the same as the Marantz 660, but presumably it would be useable for normal recording. I checked out the HD-P2 thoroughly and almost bought it, but I wanted to keep things compact for my immediate purposes. We have an older Tascam that looks just like the P2 but is DAT. It's been a great recorder, used for live concert recording as well as shooting double system for video. If I needed to use the Microtrack for double system shooting, I would do so with no hesitation.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #102
Trustee

The zoom sounds like a good deal if you don't use a mixer (xlr inputs and phantom). But I also bought a Sounddevices 302, so I just run line out into the Edirol when I need phantom and xlr's.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #103
Major Player

Recently, for larger events I have been using my MicroTrack recorder and a Tascam firewire mixer in combination. The Tascam (FW-1082, which I am very happy with) records the five channels I typically use to a laptop. Meanwhile, I use the MicroTrack to capture the monitor output with the MicroTrack. That way, I have a stereo mix on a second device, which is not just handy if I need sound samples from the event right away, but it also gives me piece of mind in that I know I have a backup should something go wrong with the laptop computer or its software during the recording. After all, stereo sound is way better than no sound at all, should something go very wrong during a live event.

- Martin
Martin Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #104
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
The zoom sounds like a good deal if you don't use a mixer (xlr inputs and phantom). But I also bought a Sounddevices 302, so I just run line out into the Edirol when I need phantom and xlr's.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
I use a (PSC Promix 3) field mixer on certain location shoots like live concert and dance rectitals. And I do the same for my Edirol (run line out), with great results.
But there are many times I want to a much smaller setup and use my matched pair of Rode NT5 mics, which require phantom power or even 2 different feeds (1 board and 1 mic), and the H4 would fit these situations better.

I usually attach my recorder directyl onto a mic stand by using a clamp then either place 2 mics 1 wireless (to my camera) and 1 to my recorder.

By having both left and right inputs, I am able to then take 1 feed from the board, 1 feed of ambiant live crowd mix to my recorder. Then still have my wireless handheld going into my camera.

That is one thing I do like about the Microtrack over the R-09, is that you have separate L/R inputs that are independantl adjustable.
Old September 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #105
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
That is one thing I do like about the Microtrack over the R-09, is that you have separate L/R inputs that are independantl adjustable.

Does the Zoom have L and R independantly
adjustable gain?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio