Audio and Video in HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio and Video in HDMI

Hello, I'm planning on running video and audio to a HDTV with an HDMI cable from the Blackmagic Multibridge Pro. Will it carry a digital audio signal with it as well, or will I need to purchase additional audio cables?
Brian Langeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2

It carries the audio signal as well. In a manner of speaking, HDMI is the low-cost SDI signal.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I wasn't sure but I thought that was the case. I wasn't sure because it didn't specify anything about the audio for the HDMI port in the specs on Blackmagic's website. It sure is a lot simpler to run a single cable and know that the audio and video will be in sync.
Brian Langeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Major Player

In that case I'd call or e-mail the manufacturer and ask. Yes, HDMI has the wires for the audio path but if the manufacturer of a device doesn't implement that feature then separate wire (or fiber) will have to be run.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. J. deLange
In that case I'd call or e-mail the manufacturer and ask. Yes, HDMI has the wires for the audio path but if the manufacturer of a device doesn't implement that feature then separate wire (or fiber) will have to be run.
If they don't, then they're in violation of the HDMI specification.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Major Player

I always used to say that the RS-232 spec was a perfect example of what was meant by "More honored in the breach than the observance". Things may be different in this modern day and age, however. I hook my Mini-mac to my HDTV through a DVID-HDMI cable. No audio. That could be because it's an adapter though. Nonethelss I'd check with the manufacturer. I've learned to read product descriptions like a lawyer and the lack of specific mention of a feature always makes me very nervous.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Langeman
Hello, I'm planning on running video and audio to a HDTV with an HDMI cable from the Blackmagic Multibridge Pro. Will it carry a digital audio signal with it as well, or will I need to purchase additional audio cables?
Yes, it will carry audio. Only the first 2 channels though. Some tvs don't like it if they see more than 2 channels of audio and mutes everything.
Kristian Lam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio