Sennheiser G2 Evolution cable question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser G2 Evolution cable question

The cable my G2 set came with (the XLR male to 1/8 stereo miniplug with the screw on thingy) seems to be shorted out.. After pluging it all in the only time I got audio recorded was when I wiggled the miniplug part that plugs into the reciever.

Does anyone know if I actually have to order the same $46 cable as replacement (CL 100) or can I use some generic cable with the same ends on both sides? I see B&H has some.. If you happen to know of the specific equivilant I'd appreciate it. They are priced around 10-15 bux which is MUCH more reasonable than Sennys cable.

I do notice that none of the others have that screw on thingy on the miniplug end. Not sure if its a necessity - but it kind of ensures the cable won't pop out if caught on something.

Thanks!
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2
Wrangler

If you have the mini-to-mini CL1, might be worth checking to make sure it really is the cable and not the fitting on the receiver itself. Of course, if your G2 is under warranty...

Replacement parts are often overly expensive, but wow, $46 for that little cable still seems excessive. From your misfortune, I'll know to be extra careful with mine! I wonder if it might be worth checking out vendors who specialize in cables and other small bits?

The screw thingy does make the fit different, so if you don't get the proper cable it could lead to hassles as happened in this case:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=76220
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Pete,

Thanks for your reply and the link... A wealth of info in those posts.

I tried a 1/8 to 1/8 into my Microtrack mic in and the audio worked fine from the reciever. Based on that test it confirmed that the audio connector on the Senny was ok. I'm still curious if another cable can sit in there nice and snug without the screw-on connector... I may grab a few different brands and try it cause I want to carry at least 1 or 2 spares - but not feeling the 46 buck / cable price..

thx!
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Albert, make sure your screw thingy is screwed in as to seat the jack properly. The screw thingy is so it doesnt come unpluged. TAG
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Terry,

Thats all I actually thought it was for... I didn't initially think it was a custom plug of any kind but after reading the above link, I'd like to get a generic mini to xlr and test it to see if the screw on makes much difference other than securing it.

Once I get my hands on some cables, I'll post my findings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio