What replacement for ME2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 29th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What replacement for ME2?

Hello.

I own Sennheiser Evolution 100 wireless lav kit. I'm looking for a replacement for a ME2 capsule included to the kit, as the ME2 doesn't sound good. I would like something a bit cheaper than Sennheiser's MKE2, lets say something around $200. Any suggestions?
Milosz Krzyzaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

What about a countryman B3?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I second the B3... I upgraded the ME2 to the Countryman B3 but opted for the 'Combo' version - i.e. XLR & the G2 1/8" connector - thus allowing for a wired Lav mic when needed.. Works very well - just shot a friend's wedding and a B3 on the Groom's lapel was able to pick up Bride & the Officiant/Pastor without any problem..
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ross Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

How does G3 quality compare to ME2?

How does G3 quality compare to MKE2? Is this the same league?
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

And just two more question.

I recorded some doc footage (man speech) with my ME2 capsule. This doesn't sound very good. Can someone experienced advise what to do particulary with ME2 sound in post to tweak it a bit?
Old October 30th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Major Player

What do you mean with "it doesn't sound really good"? Can you be more specific, So you can get a more specific answer..
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, it somewhat has a sort of a flanger effect in the recorded speakers voice. I suppose its due to the ME2 capsule weakness rather than mic failure.

Perhaps I could provide a short sample of it? You judge yourself. That's a raw male voice recorded with my ME2 capsule on Sennheiser Evoulution 100 and sony VX2000 camera.

http://putstuff.putfile.com/1414/3973857

(Attention, it's spoken Polish, so it may be hard for some of you:)
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Fred Retread

I can't listen to the file here at work, but when we agree that the ME2 may not sound as good as some other mics, we mean something more subtle than what you are describing. What you are describing is distortion. That points to problems in the setup, or to mic that is just plain defective.
Old October 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milosz Krzyzaniak
...Perhaps I could provide a short sample of it? You judge yourself. That's a raw male voice recorded with my ME2 capsule on Sennheiser Evoulution 100 and sony VX2000 camera...
It sounds a little bassy to me, but this could easily be taken care of with some equalization in editing.

In fact, it sounds fine. Perhaps there is some sort of problem with audio monitoring out of your editing system?

I listened on a Genelec 1029/1091 system, which is a good reference system, especially for voice.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I happen to agree that the ME2 doesnt sound great, tho it's not awful......seems very mid-rangey and lacking bottom, but that is pretty typical of most lavs....on the other hand, there IS a bit a variation to that rule, and I personally thing that the Tram TR-50 is a really awesome sounding lav....Burk Webb and I ran a few tests about 5 years ago, and it turned out that the Tram, in a blind test, compared nicely to some larger diaphragm condenser mics...that being said, you can now get TR50's with the sennheiser 1/8" connector here:

http://www.enggadgets.com/s.nl/it.A/...&category=2016

description:Tram TR-50B SETXL+ (TR-TR50B-3.5SPL-ACC-PS+) Microphone

Tram TR50B SETXL+ (TR-TR50B-3.5SPL-ACC-PS+) Includes: Lavalier Mic, Black, With 1/8" (3.5mm), TRS Locking Mini Plug Connector, For Sennheiser EW Series Wireless Systems, Positive Bias, Detachable Power Supply, Carrying Case & Six Mic Clips
Price: $365.00

yes, its steep....the trams without a power supply and wired to a T connector are way cheaper....might be worth it to see if you can gine them a call and try to do a deal...they DO sounds awesome...
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

oh, BTW...I agree with Seth....the SAMPLE you posted actualy sounds just fine to my ears....more bottom than I usually get with MY sennheiser, and not at all bad.
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

replacement for sennheiser lav

I just heard from Fred at Equipment Emporium about having Audio Technica supply AT899's for the Evolution Wireless:

Audio Technica can wire up an AT899 to work with your Sehnnheiser Evolution. Cost of the lav would be $30 additional, $179 plus $30 (special service) = $209.00

so there ya go, one more option....

www.equipmentemporium.com
eqe@earthlink.net
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

ME2 replacement

OK, if you want a TRAM TR50 wired into your evolution wireless here ya go:

From the desk of Fred Ginsburg
Equipment Emporium Inc. (818) 838-4457 eqe@earthlink.net
15235 Brand Blvd, Ste A-110, Mission Hills CA 91345
www.equipmentemporium.com

The TR50 unit would be $235 (mic only) or $400 (mic & power supply).

$235 for the mic only , wired for Sennheiser...think I'm gonna order me one of those bad boys myself!!!!!!
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #14
Major Player

We got the kits that B&H sells with the Sennheiser wireless and Tram mics. The Trams are definitely a step up from the stock Senn mic. I hate the Tram tie clip, though.

More important than the mics, though, is setting up the wireless right. The Sennheiser wireless receiver and transmitter are very hot. You'll need to turn down everything to avoid distortion. They'll sound a lot better if you feed it into a line level input, but you can turn down the receiver to a low setting and turn attenuation on for your xlr input and it'll work at mic level.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Me-2 Replacement

There is a sensitivity adjustment on the Sennheiser...ranges from -30 to +10 to allow for use of dynamic and various other kinds of mics...I usually go with -20 and adjust the gain to about 50%....seems to work ok....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio