Apple Soundtrack audio/noise question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Apple Soundtrack audio/noise question

I've been messing around in Soundtrack, which is something I rarely do. To all the sound post-philes out there, my hat's off to you.

Anyway, I'm having no luck on a driving scene (interior of the car) with reducing a general "hum/buzz" of the car driving. I tried the noise reducer with no luck. A friend of mine is helping, but I want to know about a technique.

It's when you copy the hum/buzz and somehow invert it, cancelling it out. I understand helicopters somehow can cancel their sound doing something similar with speakers. How would I do this in Soundtrack Pro? Is it possible? I've seen it done in PC apps, but I wouldn't know where to begin, in general.

Thanks,

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Are you using Soundtrack or Soundtrack Pro? There's a big difference between the two.

Heath,

If you can find a good 2-3 second length of the noise you want to remove with no other dialogue or ambient sound you want removed, drag a selection across its waveform. Next, go to Process>Set Noise Print., then click in the timeline to deselect. Go to Process>Reduce Noise. In that dialoge box, check Noise Only and click the play button. Now, slide the Reduce Noise slider at the top to the right until you hear the noise you want removed get louder. Slide to the point that you just start to hear dialogue in the background. It'll sound like tuning an AM radio where yo can hear talking in the background. Then back off just a tad. Stop the play and then hit Apply. That will take the noise out of the entire clip. If you don't deselct what you originally selected for your Noise Print, it'll just remove noise from your selection.

You have to go kind of easy with this or your overall track will sound unatural.

The included DVD tutorials do a great job of explaining and demonstrating this if you have Soundtrack Pro. I don't even think this function is included in the original version of Soundtrack though.
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Yeah, it's Pro (part of FC Studio). I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

heath
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
I don't even think this function is included in the original version of Soundtrack though.
Quite right, Dave. The original Soundtrack app didn't even have a waveform editor. That's why they included a lite version of Bias Peak.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio