Has anyone used the "Fat Cat" for audio outdoors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 11th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone used the "Fat Cat" for audio outdoors?

i'm looking for something better than the high windscreen foam on my microphone (oktava mk012) and was wondering if anyone has used the Fat Cat: http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/STRE0009B.html for any outdoor audio? if so how does it handle in mild to moderate wind?
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Trustee

I've used it on an AT873r many times and it seemed fine for breezes. I never had it in what I'd call windy conditions. I also never tried it on my Oktava.
For any small mic you'll need a black no-metal, no-exposed-rubber hairband to tighten up the slack. They're available at most any drug store. The FatCat is made for an elastic fit on RE50/SM58 sized mics, so you may need to also use your foam under it plus the hairband for the very slim Oktava.
I have seen other versions of this at various places on the internet for a lot less money. You may want to search those out as well.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanx jay, when you say i'll need that hairband to tighten up the slack do you mean to tighten up the slack between the foam and the mic? and then place the Fat Cat over the foam?

people are saying i should go with the Baby Ball Gag and a Windjammer but if that's going to run another $200+ then i'd like to go this route if it'll work. and i would only need this in case there's a sudden gust of wind or something, not necessarily recording outside if the wind is blowing hard.

thanx i'm new to audio.
James Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Trustee

The Windpac from DPA seems to be the best of them all by a big margin, it doesn't knock the high end for a six and it includes a rain cover. When I say rain cover it doesn't just stop the water getting in it stops the sound of the drops hitting the cover.
Sorry but it is expensive. Still if you plan on working outdoors where anything can happen including rain this baby does seem the only real answer.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Trustee

The hairband would go on the outside of the FatCat, to supplement the elastic that's in the rim of the FatCat. The built-in elastic is sized for a snug fit on larger hand-held mics. I think for outdoor activities with a lot of movement, you'll need your foam under the FatCat just to have more bulk to keep the FatCat from moving around and rubbing the mic grill or sliding off the mic even with elastic. The FatCat isn't "sticky" unless the elastic is really tight. On a cylindrical mic like the Oktava, it wouldn't just fall off but it would slip off if brushed against something the wrong way.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio