Wireless Stick Mic question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Wireless Stick Mic question

Hey Everyone,

Please excuse me if I don't use the proper terminology.

I'm looking for a wireless stick mic with a with a wireless belt back. Basically something that would be ideal for shooting in the field.

We're trying to stay under $600. Do you all have any ideas?

Thanks

John
John Stromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

By "stick mic" do you mean a reporter's hand-held mic or do you mean a mic on a boom to hold over the scene?
Old January 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #3
New Boot

yeah sorry, I ment a reporter hand held mic.
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Some suggestions...

Most of the major wireless microphone manufacturers make plug-on transmitters that will turn any handheld dynamic mic into a wireless unit.

In broadcast, you'll typically find traditional "reporter" mics like the Electrovoice RE-50, and EV 637's used constantly. (the 637 has a home in huge numbers of camera bags because it's virtually screw-up proof - for decades it's had a reputation that you can hammer nails with in in the morning and do an interview in the afternoon. It was so popular that TV stations used to order them in "6-packs" (six mics in a box) The traditional style is somewhat short and silver, they now offer model options with longer handles and offer a matte black finish option. Lately I've seen more and more shooters using Beyer M58s. (myself included) since it looks a bit more modern. There are plenty of other options, from Sony, Audio Technica and others but those still seem to be the big three.

You want a simple, foolproof dynamic. You want low "handling" noise.

Then pick a snap on transmitter and you're good to go.

The mic will probably run to $100-200.

A good transmitter is a bit more of a problem. The real quality units from Lectrosonics, Sony, etc. can run over $1000. Yeah, there are units available at around $400 from the low end companies (Sampson, Nady, Azden, etc) - but since most of the important information in any "talking" shot is carried by the voice. ANYTHING that compromises audio performance is, at least in my opinion, one of those "penny wise and pound foolish" deals.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:06 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a lot Bill

I appreciate the help!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #6
Major Player

AKG WMS 40 pro diversity set could be your best bet.
PR 40 pocket receiver
SO 40 snap on transmitter for dynamic mics only
Those are sold in sets sometimes referred as AKG PR40/SO this is true diversity wireless for about $300 and the receiver is as small as miniDV cassette. So, you would have plenty of cash to buy a Beyerdynamic M58 mic too.

One major thing to remember is that those WMS 40 diversity systems are fixed channel systems so if another one with the same frequency is near by you might get interference although they are available in different frequencies.

AKG diversity set is available here

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7
New Boot

Not to nitpick, but I believe it to be a Electro Voice 635, not 637 just in case he goes looking for that mic, plus it's a part of my wireless rig. ;-)
Todd McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Trustee

Todd,

Good catch. I bought mine (I own 2) about 20 years ago and screwed up the number.

EV 635
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I hate to start new threads so I will just continue on this one...

Assuming I can get the battery cover off my SKP100 wireless transmitter for XLR mikes, Im looking for a decent handheld interview mike for outdoor use. Budget is $200 max but cheaper is better if theres a better bang/buck.

I guess Im looking for unidirectional? I want to block out sound from the peripheral and keep it concentrated on the interviewee.

Not knowing the conditions, I probably need a goof muff or foam windshield that will fit suggested mike.

Anyone with a suggestion for use with SKP100 and Senn G2 receiver? Something that performs terrific indoor/outdoor is my goal.

Is the EV635 about as good and goofproof as it gets for the price?
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #10
DVCreators.Net

I'm pretty impressed with the Sennheiser MD46 when coupled with the SKP 100. It is remarkably clean sounding. Theres a nice weight to it too, feels comfortable in hand. You can listen to one hooked up directly to a Canon XL2 in an interview I shot awhile back, http://www.dvcreators.net/products/n...movieframe.htm
The MD46 allows you to get a little bit further back then you would with a dynamic omni since it is a cardioid. You may have seen/heard this mic while watching the track and field events at the Olympics or on Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segments.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio