OK got my Senn Evolution G2, configured, connected to GL2. Not working? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OK got my Senn Evolution G2, configured, connected to GL2. Not working?

Let me preface everything Im about to say by saying Im an idiot. Im not a technical guru. Im a journalist by trade. The fact that I shoot photos and video as well and get away with it is only because I buy decent equipment to con people into believing I have any sense of what Im doing.

Alas my issue here. Order the Sennheiser Evolution G2 system w/transmittor, receiver, and the handheld mic extra. Im just trying to get it to work with my Canon GL2 right now.

I went through Guy's tutorial nearly exactly with the G2 receiver and transmittor before I tried to get cute and see if it worked. Adjusted levels and stuff, scanned frequencies, got both ends on the same frequency, on and on. Then hooked the mike up to the transmittor and voila', the audio bars are receiving on both units just fine. Im even right in the middle of the bar levels which is where I want to be.

Time to hook it to my Canon GL2. I put the hot shoe thingamajigger on and after about two hours and some beer, figured out how to get the receiver on it without busting the clip holder. In case you boys and girls dont know, you take the clip thing off completely, put the shoe on, and put the clip back over it. Like I said, Im not a sharp knife.

Anyway, so this is what I did. I took the audio cable that came with the package and plugged it into the AF Out on the receiver. Then ran the cable to the little secret compartment on the back right side of the GL2 where all the jacks are. I plugged it into the one that says "A/V in/out." This is the yellow jack right above the S-Video port. Then put the GL2 audio recording level to "M" on the left side of camea (little toggle switch). Then adjusted the GL2 audio levels down under half and staggered.

I then plugged the included lapel mike into the transmittor and walked maybe 15-20ft away and started up the camcorder.

End result. I would think even speaking softly into the mike right in front of my face that it would be a lot louder than when I walk back to camera to get what seems like ambient audio. The bars register fine on the transmittor -- even to the AF Peak point. I can only assume same is happening on the receiver end. Im 20ft away tops.

But Im not getting any "hey that guys got a microphone near him" audio. It sounds 20 feet away and when I whisper into the mike, I can make the bars to full AF Peak, but when I replay the video, I cant even hear myself (even adjusting camera audio back up).

It goes without saying Im probably doing something incredibly stupid, but alas, I figured Id ask now and save myself an entire weekend of frustration. The 2hr hot shoe clip thing about did me in.

Any suggestions on where I'm missing the boat? Im sort of expecting Anderson Cooper on Location type results here.
http://www.udpride.com
Chris Rieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, I don't have a GL2 here in front of me, but if I remember, the mic input is actually on the side of the camera in front of the grip & strap. It's covered up by a plastic or rubber door. The jack you're using now is the crazy audio plus video output for camera mode, might function as an input in vcr mode.

The sound you've recorded so far came from the on-camera mic.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK. Apparently Im plugging into wrong jack. Found the microphone jack you are talking about and plugged it in.

However now I am not getting any recorded sound at all in my video. Not even ambient sound from camcorder mircophone. Its like when I plugged it in, its going exclusively through the microphone jack as input as one would expect (at least I would), however there is zero audio.

bars look fine and perfectly in synch on the sennheisers. I even changed frequencies just for sanity.

Is there any setting in the camcorder I must make?

Im thinking this has to be something simple Im missing.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Plugging into the external mic socket will indeed shut off the on-camera mike ... its designed that way so that's not a glitch. But obviously you should now hear the Sennheiser.

You say the LCD bars on the receiver are moving, so the signal is getting that far at least .... you're sure the cable is properly connected at both ends? - screwed into the receiver, and full pushed into the mike-in socket on the camera?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Ok, back up a step. Didn't you say you put the camera into manual audio mode? Check to see where you have the levels set. Better yet, leave it in the automatic mode for your tests.

I don't remember you saying you were using headphones, but if you'll use them, you won't need to run any tape for your testing.

Since you said that you're technically challenged (we all have a challenge, one of mine is spelling) let's start from the beginning:

1) Power up the camera.
2) Plug in your head phones.
3) Make sure the audio is in automatic mode.

You should have sound in the phones and bars across the bottom of the LCD.

4) Now, power up the Senn and see if it APPEARS to be working. (LEDs, bars, etc.) Some wireless systems have a phones jack to monitor the audio at the receiver. If your system has that jack, plug in for a moment and check for sound.

(Verify in the manual, that the Senn's output jack you described is indeed the correct spot to plug in for sending sound to the camera.)

5) If everything seems ok at this point, try plugging the Senn into the GL-2.(to the "mic" jack near the headphone jack)

Everything SHOULD be working fine now.

If it's not working, get back to me via e-mail, and I'll help you diagnose the problem.

Mark

Edit:
Oh, Seth is correct about the location of the mic jack, but I figured if you found the headphones jack, you'd find the mic jack.

Last edited by Mark Holland; April 20th, 2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Addendum
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
1) Power up the camera.
2) Plug in your head phones.
3) Make sure the audio is in automatic mode.

You should have sound in the phones and bars across the bottom of the LCD.
Yes. I get sound through the headphones.

Quote:
4) Now, power up the Senn and see if it APPEARS to be working. (LEDs, bars, etc.) Some wireless systems have a phones jack to monitor the audio at the receiver. If your system has that jack, plug in for a moment and check for sound.
No jack. Just the Mic/Line jack for the microphone on transmitter and AF Out on receiver.

Quote:
5) If everything seems ok at this point, try plugging the Senn into the GL-2.(to the "mic" jack near the headphone jack)
Did this. But once I plug it in, I get no sound through headphones.

I also noticed when in audio manual mode (this is the switch on left side of camera like a toggle), I get background hiss and faintly, one bar only will move on the camera. If I put it in audio auto mode, I get nothing. No hiss or anything. Like its not even connected.

I also noticed in the camera menus the "MIC" option in the camera setup menu is pink and I cant really select or deselect it.

Obviously it cant be the microphone that came with the unit b/c it records bars on both transmitter/receiver.

Man this is frustrating. I hate technology.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Trustee

Chris, The receiver has an RF bar and an AF bar. The AF bar is the one you'll see reponding to mic signal volume.

You said the transmitter and receiver bars are in sync so I assume that's the case, but I'm just clarifying to be sure.

The receiver does have a gain control and a mute. (If it was muted it would say "mute" on the LCD). But the max gain reduction is -30dB so it shouldnt make the signal disappear.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris i have the same setup i would be more then happy to walk you threw this step by step if your still having issues. send me an email if you wish.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Yes transmitter/receiver bars are in synch.

Receiver is in mute mode until I turn on transmitter.

When plugged into the camera, the camera bars barely move. Just the tiniest movement on one of the L/R channels but almost nothing. The other L/R channel does not move. I have the levels all the way up too.

Is there any way to test to see if the cable from the receiver to the camera is working? You cant really screw it into the camera, you just plug it in. But I do get no external audio when I plug it in, which tells me the camera is recognizing the fact that it wants to solely use that jack for audio input.

And of course the headphone jack works fine. Proved that with no sennheisers hooked up.
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Chris,

The "mic" you see in the menu is not what I'm referring to. Look on the left side of the GL-2 and notice the audio level controls. Below them is the A/M switch for the Auto/ Manual Audio. That should be in "A".

Next, as Graham has pointed out, I'd check the output level FROM the Senn. I'm not familiar with that unit, but it could be a user accessable, internal adjustment. Graham says that there's a gain control as well as a mute switch on the Senn, so I'd look at those. You might also try your headphones in the AF Out jack on the Senn, just to see if you hear ANYTHING. The levels may be too low, but it shouldn't hurt to try.

Mark
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rieman View Post
Yes transmitter/receiver bars are in synch.

Receiver is in mute mode until I turn on transmitter.

When plugged into the camera, the camera bars barely move. Just the tiniest movement on one of the L/R channels but almost nothing. The other L/R channel does not move. I have the levels all the way up too.

Is there any way to test to see if the cable from the receiver to the camera is working? You cant really screw it into the camera, you just plug it in. But I do get no external audio when I plug it in, which tells me the camera is recognizing the fact that it wants to solely use that jack for audio input.

And of course the headphone jack works fine. Proved that with no sennheisers hooked up.
I was composing a response when you posted this, but you haven't said if the camera is in Manual or Auto Audio. If it's in manual, the levels might be too low on the camera. Try Auto Mode.

Ok, I see it in another post now...I'll keep thinking...

Last edited by Mark Holland; April 20th, 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Ooops
Old April 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Regular Crew

In manual mode I just get static on the headphones. In auto mode its like nothing is even plugged in. At least when I switch to manual, the "static" clicks in like you connected something.

I was watching the level bars on the viewfinder as I had it open. I can only assume those level bars mimick the level bars on the outside of the viewfinder. The level bars were practically motionless. L would move ever so slightly. (like 1/2 of one bar out of say 15 bars). The R bar would never move.

I'll try plugging headphones into the AF Out.

MUTE is not on. Only comes on until I turn transmitter on. Then it goes off. I set Gain control to like -18. When I talk into the transmitter, the bars pick it up perfect and so does the receiver. I can hit Peak with no problem.

Looks like Im gonna need another six pack tonight.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Chris:

Try this to help narrow down where the problem is. Take a known good mic, preferably non-wireless, and plug it into the camera. This will insure that the jack on the camera is functioning correctly. Next plug the mic reciever into a known good device such as a PA system or other camera that you might have used it with before.

This should allow you to narrow down where the problem is.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I used to have another lavalier mike somewhere. Ill look for it. I dont think the mike is the issue because it sends good bars to both transmitter and receiver, but Ill try.

I have a Alesis keyboard amp. I'll try to plug the Senheisers microphone into it, then try to plug the Receiver into it as well (into microphone in as well?).

I will also try plugging microphone directly into Sennheiser receiver AF Out to see if I hear anything being passed.

I take it theres nothing that really needs to be set up on the GL2. Nothing in the menus? I do notice the MIKE menu is pink and unselectable. Then there is a MIK ALL as well. I messed with that setting but no dice.

Ill report back tonight on my findings. THANKS for the help thus far. Duly impressed with the spirit.
Old April 20th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rieman View Post
I used to have another lavalier mike somewhere. Ill look for it. I dont think the mike is the issue because it sends good bars to both transmitter and receiver, but Ill try.

I have a Alesis keyboard amp. I'll try to plug the Senheisers microphone into it, then try to plug the Receiver into it as well (into microphone in as well?).

I will also try plugging microphone directly into Sennheiser receiver AF Out to see if I hear anything being passed.

I take it theres nothing that really needs to be set up on the GL2. Nothing in the menus? I do notice the MIKE menu is pink and unselectable. Then there is a MIK ALL as well. I messed with that setting but no dice.

Ill report back tonight on my findings. THANKS for the help thus far. Duly impressed with the spirit.
You scare me a little here Chris. It sounds like you plan on connecting the mic to the receiver's output? Don't do it! I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying. See if this is what you really mean to say:

You're going to -
Plug the wireless receiver's AF Output, into the keyboard amp's input?
Plug a different mic into the camera's mic input?
Good!

Now, think this over. If the Senn mic element is working, and the Senn transmitter is working, you'll get the RF and AF indicator bars you describe at the receiver. However, if the receiver's output is not right, then the camera's mic input will not "hear" anything, and you'll see little or nothing on the camera's indicators. That's why the suggestion to connect the system to something else for testing. It sounds like the keyboard amp is a good choice. Use the mic input on the amp.

If the whole Senn system works fine with the amp, you might have something wrong at the camera. That's the reason for the "try another mic" suggestion. Preferably, try a traditional, wired mic. If it works, your camera's probably ok.

Please forgive me if it seems like I'm talking down to you, I don't intend to do so. But, you said the technical stuff wasn't your strong point, so I'm trying to simplify it as much as I can.

If you'd like me to try and talk you thru it, then e-mail me. I probably won't be free again until Monday, but I'm willing to help as much as I can!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio