Beachtek for non-specific cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Beachtek for non-specific cameras?

Has anyone had any problem with using Beachtek gear with camera that they are not-specifically made for? Any issues?
For example, some are made apparently only for the FX1 - will this work with any other stereo camera?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

David:

I have the Beachteck DX4a, and it came out before FX1. I now use it with great success on the FX1. Works fine.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm using the same combo as Chris - and for the same reasons. In fact, the same unit used to sit under the Canon XM2 before the FX1 arrived!
I'd really like to know what possible difference there is in the unit supposedly designed for the FX1...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Trustee

I have an HC1 and I noticed on Ebay there was (I stress was) an inexpensive BeachTek. It looks like it has RCA output, but there is an "input" (female) for stereo - now with a simple male to male end stereo, I think I could hook it up to my HC1, but I want to be sure about grounding etc.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #5
DVCreators.Net

The DXA-FX was created to fit on the FX1 without having a hard time getting your XLR cables in and out.

With the FX1 and a DXA-4 you may have to use a pen/pencill to push the pin to release the XLR cable.

The FX model also adds limiters - but no phantom power.

Not sure which model you found on eBay, but it was probably the DXA-10 if it had RCA's. The 10 has phantom power as well as line+mic level out.

Hope this helps,
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
Has anyone had any problem with using Beachtek gear with camera that they are not-specifically made for? Any issues?
For example, some are made apparently only for the FX1 - will this work with any other stereo camera?
The issue is how the audio can be fed into the camera, nothing more. To illustrate with Canon Gl1 & GL2 (since I know those models better than others), external audio must be fed into the camera via a specific connector. With the GL1, the connector is a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug. The tip of the plug is one audio channel, the ring of the plug is the other channel, and the shaft of the plug carries the negative polarity connection common to both channels. If the SONY FX1 departs from this internationally accepted standard, then you should make every effort to know. Personally, I doubt SONY would do something that outrageous, but one never knows.

Once inside, the audio signal is recorded to tape according to user chosen parameters.

The GL2, on the other hand, does not use a mini-plug connection for external audio. It only accepts external audio through a special XLR adapter accessory (MA-300) which must attach to the camera's hotshoe. In this case, the Beachtek/SignVideo, or other manufactured adapter will not work. Bad design on Canon's part, in my opinion.

Ultimately, you must decide the audio signal's sample rates based on the limitations of your video editing system. My system likes 16 bit, 48k audio best. It manages 44.1 CD audio quite well, along with a few other audio sample rates. It does not like 4 channel, 32k audio at all. If I capture 4 ch. audio I must capture everything twice, convert audio to 48k, and re-import everything into a new project. Did it once. Never again. Maybe things have changed since my first experience with 4ch./32k audio recording, but I don't care. 16 bit, 48k is the only way I capture audio. I have better things to do with my time. Your NLE may be quite different. Examine, then choose.

If there are major issues based upon Camera manufacture any reputable 3d party manufacturer will know the issues and VERY CLEARLY identify them.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM   #7
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler
The GL2, on the other hand, does not use a mini-plug connection for external audio. It only accepts external audio through a special XLR adapter accessory (MA-300) which must attach to the camera's hotshoe. In this case, the Beachtek/SignVideo, or other manufactured adapter will not work. Bad design on Canon's part, in my opinion.
Sorry, but untrue. Not sure if you have one to double check, but the input is under the rubber gasket on the right side.

The Canon GL2 can absolutely indeed accept an 1/8inch miniplug via MIC level input. Thus it can use a BeachTek DXA-4P (for a perfect fit). It can also use all other BeachTek devices. See http://beachtek.com/dxa4p.html

The DXA-4P does not supply phantom power, but was developed for the GL1(GL2) form factor. Thus one might wish to consider the DXA-6 for unpowered condenser mics.

The GL2 can use the MA-300 made by Canon through the intelligent accessory shoe, but it is poor design in my opinion. Made of plastic, easy to snap off and does not provide phantom power. Also, for less money you can have the BeachTek or Sign Video XLR adapter.

I love the GL2. It shoots a great picture, has VU meters and levels. I would just get a DXA-6 to compliment it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio