302 techniques with XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Major Player

302 techniques with XH-A1

Someone who should know said that when using the Sounddevices 302 mixer with an XH-A1 Canon camcorder to put the output on the 302 to tape and set the camcorder inputs to mic rather than line in.

Does this make sense and why?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Trustee

I have a Canon H1 (not an A1) and a 302. You can set the 302 to mic or line level out. Make sure you monitor w headphones. The first time I used the 302 I had it set to line and didn't monitor the signal w phones. The levels looked good, so I didn't bother. When I got home the audio was all distorted.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Major Player

3 x XLR input, 2 x XLR output, TA3 Tape Output, TA3 Mix In, 1/8" Return, 1/8" hp

...copied from the mfg's website. TA3 Tape Output..........I haven't actually used one yet but apparently you can use this, according to one of the sound device techs.

Level wise, it's supposed to be between the line out and mic out, if I understood the tech correctly.

What he was referring to it that he says the line level input on the XL-H1 is low, so you have to crank up the input gain on the camera. But not too much as you would with line out. Since the idea is to attempt to minimize the lower quality input from onboard camera sound amplification and resultant distortion, you can use the tape output from the 302 into the mic level input on the camera. Then you are able to lower the gain or volume levels on the camera thereby lowering the on camera distortion and use more of the mixer's quality.

He said he thinks all the Canon HDV cameras work the same way audiowise. I can't say, because I only have the XH-A1 (which by the way now has a $250 rebate) and no mixer, except for a beachtek. That will change.

Last edited by Larry Vaughn; March 20th, 2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: add info
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
3 x XLR input, 2 x XLR output, TA3 Tape Output, TA3 Mix In, 1/8" Return, 1/8" hp

...copied from the mfg's website. TA3 Tape Output..........I haven't actually used one yet but apparently you can use this, according to one of the sound device techs.

Level wise, it's supposed to be between the line out and mic out, if I understood the tech correctly.
Their specs say the TA3 line out is stereo unbalanced with a nominal level of -15dBV, a little cooler than the normal consumer equipment 'line level' of -10dBV jacks but should work fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio