Wireless boom operator? Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Wireless boom operator? Help

Is it possible to unplug the boom op from the camera via lets`say ATW 1800 series transmitter that has a line level hirose input (I also don`t know how can I adapt line level XLR to hirose but I assume it is possible somehow).

Or should boom op use a professional field recorder like Fostex fr-2LE instead as it gives a better audio resolution anyway?
Unfortunately sub $1000 field recorders doesn`t have balanced outputs for additional line level feed to transmitter or camcorder.

Best regards,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Anything is possible but most boom mics are mic level and need some kind of powering phantom, 12 Volt AB or an internal battery so your rig might need to take that into account as well. If you get a little mixer to power the mic and feed the transmitter line or mic level depending on what you need and your sound person can monitor/adjust the levels, listen to the sound and power the mic.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Major Player

The Audio-Technica 1800 has an XLR plug-on transmitter that will turn any XLR mic into a wireless mic. It even provides phantom power. The specs say only up to 12 volts, but on another thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95686 Douglas Spotted Eagle said that he is using the XLR plug-on with the NTG-1 (whose specs say 48 volt), and it works. That seems to be the best way to make your XLR mic totally wireless.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
The Audio-Technica 1800 has an XLR plug-on transmitter that will turn any XLR mic into a wireless mic. It even provides phantom power. The specs say only up to 12 volts, but on another thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95686 Douglas Spotted Eagle said that he is using the XLR plug-on with the NTG-1 (whose specs say 48 volt), and it works. That seems to be the best way to make your XLR mic totally wireless.
WARNING:::::::I have tried the 1800 plug on
on the ntg-1 and the audio was horrible.
The ntg-2, with battery, however, worked.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Major Player

As the NTG-1 is designed to use 44V to 52V phantom it will not work correctly with 12V phantom provided by the ATW 1800 series plug.

In my vision my sound guy will operate the boom and the mixer given that I operate the cam. But that leads me to the question that if I should make the connection between the sound guy and camcorder wireless or should I just use a field recorder on a sound guy?

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

That more a question about dutoes and capabilities than gear.

If your boom guy is really booming mmore than a static shot, he'll need both hands. That means he can't mix. There is a little volume control thing I've seen that mounts on the boom, but at some point you need a boom op, a mixer and a shooter.

If you're smart you'll get folks who are cross-trained, e.g. I do sound for some clients, but can shoot and help light a shot.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio