DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Voice recorders - new (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/99304-voice-recorders-new.html)

Ty Ford July 21st, 2007 08:26 AM

Sennheiser in Old Lyme, CT?

And they knew you were shooting IN RICHMOND, VA?
(not Richmond, WA?)

Try those frequencies I suggested and see how they work.

Regards,

Ty

Steven Davis July 21st, 2007 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 716234)
Sennheiser in Old Lyme, CT?

And they knew you were shooting IN RICHMOND, VA?
(not Richmond, WA?)

Try those frequencies I suggested and see how they work.

Regards,

Ty

Yeah Ty, we did look up based on my zip code.

I'm going to give it a try today. We shall see. Thanks for the advice.

Steven Davis July 22nd, 2007 08:53 AM

Update

Well, it appears that I'll be stepping up the ol'e mic. I only had a couple of dropouts, but it was enough for me to be really annoyed with it. There was no drop out that was supercritical, and it could have been the 40 people with their cell cameras.

So I'll probably touch base again with lectrosonics to see what 'block' I should get. They originally told me I should get block 22 from the, but they are out of stock.

So I just posted the update to say thanks as well.

Steven Davis July 23rd, 2007 11:21 AM

Well after calling Lectrosonics and a distributor or two, here's where I am now. One dude at 'a store' told me that the Lectrosonics 100 series is the equivalent to the Sennheiser 100 series. I thought to myself, well yea, except for that extra 500.00 dollars. Hehe. So I called Lectro with my new information and they agreed that if my Sennheiser 100 is having issues, then I would have the same with thier 100 series.

So the next step would be well over 2k for one of the 400 series, or I can roll the dice with a 100 series from Lectrosonic system.

This is one fun journey.

Jim Boda July 23rd, 2007 11:52 AM

Hey Steven,

I'm just curious... how and where do you normally mount your transmitter in relationship to your receiver?

Steven Davis July 23rd, 2007 12:22 PM

Well, either in the small of the back, or on the side, tried various ways. My receiver is mounted on the back of my camera, via velcro to the battery.

Jim Boda July 23rd, 2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 717214)
Well, either in the small of the back, or on the side, tried various ways. My receiver is mounted on the back of my camera, via velcro to the battery.

Do you have both Antennae in a vertical plane? And what's your average distance between them?

Steven Davis July 23rd, 2007 01:28 PM

My antenna is usually facing down, and I have heard that maybe up should be better, but with video that's not always possible.

As for my distance, the last interference I had was less than 100 feet line of site, out of no where it came and left.

Jim Boda July 23rd, 2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 717255)
My antenna is usually facing down, and I have heard that maybe up should be better, but with video that's not always possible.

As for my distance, the last interference I had was less than 100 feet line of site, out of no where it came and left.

Hmmmm... Did you do a walk around distance test before the shoot to find if your range had an edge?

Do the dropouts happen only after the trans/rec have been on for a while? I had an Audio Limited transmitter that kept going out...I finally bagged it and put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it immediately worked. As the transmitter was heating up...the frequency started to drift on the unit.

Steven Davis July 23rd, 2007 03:06 PM

Yeah, I did a walk around, etc, I have no consistent pattern of dropouts. I'm not sure bout teh time, I'm sure they dropouts have occured within an hour of turning the system on.

Steven Davis July 25th, 2007 06:28 AM

Well, the lectro system should arrive this Friday. I'll run both at my next gig, and the one that comes out clean, stays in the bag.. Thanks for all the help, I'll update later.

Steve House July 25th, 2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 718242)
Well, the lectro system should arrive this Friday. I'll run both at my next gig, and the one that comes out clean, stays in the bag.. Thanks for all the help, I'll update later.

Which units did you order?

Steven Davis July 25th, 2007 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 718277)
Which units did you order?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html

Given that my ideal block of 22 is out of stock, Lectro told me that 21 would good. We shall see.

Steven Davis August 5th, 2007 07:21 PM

Update - and man was this fun

Well, Friday night, the night before the wedding I took my G2 system, my new Lectrosonics UCR100 system, and the replacement G2 from Sennheiser out to the site. For the first hour or so I was working with the Lectrosonics sales dude, his name is John. We tried several, ok maybe many frequencies in conjunction with my G2 system. The best we could get was occasional dropouts. So about an hour and a half into my testing, I was left with my typical G2 type dropouts, random, having mostly to do with movement of either the transmitter or receiver.

So before I left I figured I would hook up the replacement G2 system, (same block as the other two systems) and see if I could get it to register. Ends up, the only way I could get the replacement G2 system to work was to put it on the exact same frequency as my other one, (which told me it was functioning fine.) But I couldn't find a frequency to work in conjunction with the other two, my old G2 and the lectro system.

The end of it all is, I'm not sure at this point. I'm sending the Lectro system back because after the ceremony, I had more drops with it than the frequency my G2 system was on. I'm sure this was because it was on a weaker frequency, but I'm just guessing.

So I guess for now, I'll have to do some more researching and working with the Lectro people. Hopefully they can find a block that will work for me.

And by the way, I was able to pick up, clear as a bell, a radio station on the G2 system. The frequency was in the middle of the band.

Just wanted to update. Thanks for reading, leave a dollar on your way out. :}

Ty Ford August 5th, 2007 07:33 PM

Thanks Steven,

Again, I think the B block would bebetter for you.

Ty