SUMIX SMX 12A12C Capture Application Project(For Filmmakers) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Major Player

A couple of days ago I read that a Red One camera takes between 1 and 2 minutes to be ready to shoot since you press ON. My computer loads Windows XP much faster. Just think about a slimmed down version of XP just with the stuff this cam needs (Silicon Imaging used Windows Embedded I think) loading from a miniITX system with 2Gb of ram, a Core2Duo processor and a couple of big 7200rpm HDDs... How long can that computer take to load Windows and Anhar's app? 10-20 seconds? I'm not a Windows fan really, but I'm not looking for a point&shoot camera, so I'm willing to wait a few seconds before I can start.

If Sumix gives access to all internal codes and someone writes a Linux app which loads faster and needs less computer speed/power, I'll try it. I'm not too sure if an OSX app would work, because it would require a Macbook Pro, so options to build an independent system get reduced to the possibility of Apple developing a faster MiniMac.

You can always try to install a patched copy of Leopard on a miniITX computer...
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Daniel:
That is why I'm saying it, maybe Jose ends up quite happy with his camera, but it won't be an easy task to work with it.Not to mention the headaches for developers.......

About Sumix taking actions on base of what you are saying....No way!!!!

That is the "Diference" between Sumix and SI. It seems to me that Sumix is more "engineer" and SI is more "user", and Engineers usually don't make things the way people need it, but the way engineers want them.

If that weren't the case, RED wouldn`t exist.Sony already has sensors of 12 and 24 Mpixels.It is just that japanese engineers can't believe why someone would want to shoot moving images using a bulky sensor and bulky lenses with limited depth of field, when you can have a camera on the head of a nail and have infinite focus :)
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Juan,

Indeed we are going to open our low level software tools as much as needed so others can make this camera more useful. The technology goes obsolete so fast that we do not have the resources and knowledge to do all the work ourselves. We are working in parallel on developing driver for Linux. But, it may be faster and easier to support third parties to make their own versions.
In any case you have access to raw data and complete control of the sensor and any compression we provide with windows API that we are providing.

Farhad
Farhad Towfiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #19
Major Player

That sounds great Farhad!

So there it is... Open low level software tools. Possibility to migrate to other systems... What else do you want??

By the way Farhad, did you get my last mail?
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Thank you for your comments, We certainly understand the necessity of user support in all kind of product developments that we are engaged in. Usually we have let customers directly communicate with our engineers and derive corrections and improvements. For Cinema camera we need to go much farther and tap your creativities and encourage you to make your own versions of the finished product.

We have about 55 people full time from which about 45 are engineers and technicians, We have another 10-20 technicians helping us part time at any time. However we are small considering the depth and intensity of commercial projects we are doing. Other than what you see on our website, we are developing enterprise software, Java, for cable modem management, massive beamforming and multiplexing for 3D medical ultrasound, device for 3D
optical eye examination, mapping retina in high resolution, surface and depth.
So far our marketing and sales is quite limited, and not have used investors money we have the flexibility to work with our customers as it will be needed in the future.
Farhad Towfiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Here is a link to the files that came with the camera on the supplied CD, and also the SDK.

http://www.dreamstonestudios.com/per...2/development/

I'm told that the SDK is currently under development. What is included now won't change but they are working on adding more features and improving old ones.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Regarding support from the Sumix company, my own experience was very positive. After I bought an M73 camera head the technical support from them was always open and helpful. At the risk of losing any credibility by endlessly emailing very basic questions, Petrovich always promptly got back with answers to help me along. And later Farhad offered a free M72 head as a comparison, which he thought would be more suitable for my needs since I wasn't chasing the resolution numbers and valued larger pixels on the same size sensor. I quickly came to the conclusion that the Sumix people really wanted to helps us! When it comes to support, it doesn't get much better than this.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #23
Major Player

I totally agree John. Farhad has been extremely helpful and patient since my first contact with him long ago asking for their M73 cams. After that with all my questions about their gigE cams when they first announced them and now when I'm finally buying one, he's been always there for me answering every possible question I came up with, offering creative solutions and giving more than anyone would ever ask for.

I really think in very little time and with the help of all the people who's working on different open software projects, Sumix will be the first company to offer a really affordable fully featured digital filmmaking solution and that's possible thanks to people like Farhad and all Sumix workers.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #24
Major Player

So, any news on the software? My cam arrives tomorrow. I'll be ready to start testing by thursday!
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
So, any news on the software? My cam arrives tomorrow. I'll be ready to start testing by thursday!
Is this project still going on.... I got my sumix 12A12C 3 days ago and I have ordered intel microatx motherboard, dual core, 128 gb flash drive and some 12 volt system to run that...
Johanes Wilenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #26
Major Player

Long time

Wow, its been a long time since I started this thread.

I never got my hands on the SDKs so the project was put the back burner :D

But since I've noticed a poster has kindly posted access to the SDK, I'll have a look.

I still have the project files, I may evn fire it up one weekend.

Anhar
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad Towfiq View Post
Juan,

Indeed we are going to open our low level software tools as much as needed so others can make this camera more useful. The technology goes obsolete so fast that we do not have the resources and knowledge to do all the work ourselves. We are working in parallel on developing driver for Linux. But, it may be faster and easier to support third parties to make their own versions.
In any case you have access to raw data and complete control of the sensor and any compression we provide with windows API that we are providing.

Farhad
Thats amazing!

any change of .Net Support with working samples?

sorry for the double posting, only notice this.

Anhar

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods