SUMIX SMX 12A12C Capture Application Project(For Filmmakers) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Major Player

SUMIX SMX 12A12C Capture Application Project(For Filmmakers)

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, first a little introduction or brief in order to explain this thread:

It’s been a very long time since I have posted on this forum (well except that little one a few week ago)

I’m also a member of many other prominent boards, which collectively form a nice web of filmmaker’s community. As such I am posting the same information here BUT (not linking to the other boards, as this is not in the spirit of DVinfo or any other board for that matter)

It was brought to my attention in another board about the new SUMIX SMX 12A12C camera, needless to say I will not expand on this further as most here should be familiar with it. If you are not familiar a quick search on this forum will reveal the information.

During discussions on the other board, the idea for a custom Software application that was garnered towards filmmakers was discussed.

Having some assets in programming I decided that I would venture to build a relatively simple application, after some quick study it was revealed that the SUMIX Company distributes their SDKs and API that can be coded using VB amongst many other programming languages.

In the filmmaker’s community spirit, I decided to release any such application for free to all filmmakers.

Although initially I had stated that it was free for the users of the other board, I see no reason why it should not be for all, since we are all filmmakers then belonging to anyone board makes no difference.

Thus the HDX project was born, I have started coding it and some tentative progress has been make, so I post here for a few purposes

(1) Make the wider filmmakers community aware of the Project and have access to it
(2) Gather some feedback/suggestions, etc
(3) Get technical help from members
(4) Possibility of more beta testers (I already have willing volunteers, but having more is even better)

Now some Important Notes:

I am in no way guaranteeing that I will be able to complete this project or that I will have a working finished project, I preserve the right to pull the project if I see it fit. Since I am also currently studying my Masters, I can only do this in my SPARE time, so do not expect massive fast progress.

I hold no responsibility for any damages that may arise from using this application, everything is supplied “as is”.

Final note ANY technical help, from ANY users who have used the SMX 12A12C APIs and SDK (using VB) please, please do come forward and give assistance.

And now the screen shots of what been done so far:

Splash Screen

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...screenshot.jpg

Main Application

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...r/HDX_prg1.jpg

What Works
* Sound recording
* Hard Drive Information
* Safe frame toggling

What needs to be done:
* camera previewing
* camera connecting
* camera settings changing
* camera recording

Anhar

Last edited by Anhar Miah; December 17th, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling errors, and wrong wording
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Luke Miller

Very Interested!

Anhar,
I am very interested in what you are doing here. I am in th process of contacting sumix to try and purchase said camera. I would be a willing beta tester and a possible Mac developer! please let me know what i can do to help!!!!
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Silicon Imaging, Inc.

Anhar,
I am truly flattered. Here is a link to what must be your inspiration:
http://www.siliconimaging.com/Digita...Interface.html
It will help in defining your "Stuff" buttons.

We originally tried to get a group of developers together to do a public domain recording package and couldn't get the critical mass so we invested buckets of man-years of time specing and developing what I think is a great interface. Aside from the time invested, the partnerships with Cineform and Iridas have greatly enhanced the application but I'll admit, we aren't freeware anymore.

Good luck,
Steve Nordhauser
Steve Nordhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Hello Steve, yes that was indeed the inspiration for the HDX.

When I started the project, one member raised the question if the GUI could be similar to the SI interface, so yes why not get inspiration from the best ! :)

I have yet to put functionality into those button so I left them with "Stuff" for the time being.

Luke you can most certainly help me, I'm PM you with details.

Anhar
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Major Player

I'll purchase another 12A12C cam next week, so I'll be happy to be one of your beta testers.

Let me be the first one to say thanks. Thanks a lot!
Jose A. Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Hello Jose, you would be more then welcome to beta test it. However I've put the project on halt for the moment, mainly due to not having access to the SDK ActiveX software (Supplied with the camera, but since I do not own the camera I don't have the SDKs). If anyone is able to let me have access to the SDKs then I can continue with the project (also given time constraints).

PM me for if you can help out.
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Major Player

You'll have it as soon as I get the camera.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you sir!

I will attempt restart the project on weekends (thats probably the only free time I have)
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM   #9
Major Player

By the way... Will this app allow the user to choose a codec for real time compression while shooting? If it's not possible to do it in real time, you could add an option to automatically encode the clip right after shooting.

And antoher question: When you stop shooting, do you get a single video+audio file or two different files?

Thanks!
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Major Player

I have never done any real time compression programming so, sadly that option would be out, and to add an option for compression afterwards, well it may be possible, but frankly just letting the user take the video file and loading it into an NLE you could then edit/transcode/render anyway.

As for the video file, I think it only records seperate video and audio files, since the streams are comming from two different sources. It would have to be put on an NLE and then synced up I presume.

back to good old fashioned "clip boards!"

-Anhar
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM   #11
Regular Crew

What about capturing in ProRes422 HQ in FCP ?

Another possibility would be to use MacOSX and find a way to compress the incoming stream to ProRes422 HQ in FinalCutPro 6.0.x. What do you think?

The best thing which could happen SUMIX btw would be to provide basic access functions and release the source code of their software in the open domain and concentrate on selling cameras.
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Major Player

Daniel, they actually provide an SDK and sample code.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Which kind of code?

José. Yes I know they supply some kind of code. But is the code provided some "access code" to a compiled API. Is the low level access to the camera made available, e.g. hooks into the raw or compressed video stream ??
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #14
Major Player

Nop, and that is exactly what I'm trying to say, maybe you can work with their Windows Centric API, but you won't have acces to a low level interface.So you are stuck there. :)
Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:08 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Concerning SUMIX' software policy

Well....I think that such a small company as SUMIX would definitely distinguish itself favourably in the disturbingly fragmented market of "basic sensor camera" by opening its software toolbox to users who may, actually, contribute with considerable expertise to the promotion of SUMIX cameras. Well if I am to invest in a SUMIX camera (I sent an email asking for a price and shipping quotation, but have got no answer that far...) and build some kind of system camera, I really need ACCESS to the video stream and low-level functions. I hate the thought of having to run the whole Windows XP operating system just in order to pilot the camera. Sounds like you start (boot) the whole Soviet administration to be able to shoot pictures in the field.

What we need from SUMIX is roughly:
1) the hooks into the RGB or the whatever-stream which is coming out of the cam with precise specification of what is streamed through the Ethernet cable.
2) a set of codes to command the diverse functions of the cam.

We potential filmmaker clients are thankful to get wrapped API applets, but it would be much better to gain access to what real cinematographers need.

I think SUMIX should react on this issue.

I still think the product has definite potential, but the success or failure of the total concept, in the present technological context, depends more on the company's software policy than on the hardware specification (competitors will soon come up with more and better).

Developing a terrific GUI for the camera interface is, believe it or not, no problem today. The big issue, is to avoid Windows XP and its huge hardware and software overhead (12 to 22 WATTS for a Windows computer, just to run the OS ??).

Last edited by Daniel Apollon; March 3rd, 2008 at 03:25 PM.
Daniel Apollon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods