Buying a letus, what do you recommend??? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Chris, you've said it perfectly again.

I don't think anyone disagrees with Dan's comments on the EX-1, it's a great camera.
What sucks is listening to him rant about the EX-1 when I have already said that I'm sticking to the XH-A1.

Why would I want to sell all my XH-A1 gear and only make a slight upgrade to the EX-1.
$450 for 25min SxS cards is not my idea of an upgrade. I'll also need a laptop for the field to download the new small SxS cards, a new camera case, batteries and other misc accessories.

Granted, the EX-1 would be a better camera with the Letus, but it would cost me a fortune for a marginal advantage in picture quality and ease of use.

By the way, I'm getting the Elite for now and will invest good money into a worthy upgrade in 2010.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #47
Major Player

Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gold View Post
By the way, I'm getting the Elite for now and will invest good money into a worthy upgrade in 2010.
Good choice, going for the Elite makes perfect sense with the Xh-a1, I've never disputed that. I'm sure you'll make some great film with it. The EX suggestions as I've repeated many times have been in response to your suggestion that you were might splash out on an Ultimate before upgrading your camera.

I don't think you understand the spirit of this forum, insulting people who are trying to help you by offering their experiences after you have asked for help is not good form. The only reason any of us bother to reply to you is because we've been there ourselves and are trying to save you and others the time, trouble and money.

Quote:
Why would I want to sell all my Xh-A1 gear and only make a slight upgrade to the EX-1. Granted, the EX-1 would be a better camera with the Letus, but it would cost me a fortune for a marginal advantage in picture quality and ease of use.
I don't I have any particular liking for Sony, or hate Canon. I have free use of Xh-A1's and instead chose spend my own hard earned cash on an EX-1 system and subsiquently EX-3. I had spent a small fortune trying to kit out an Xh-A1 for adapter use and finally decided that I was better off with a EX. (I've since starting using the 5DmkII as well, but thats another story)

To quote Phil Bloom from another forum

Quote:
The features mentioned above are all true...the most important thing is without ANY adaptor on it the EX1 picture is quite astounding, as good if not better at times than my F350. There is no way you can tell me the picture of the A1 is as good without an adaptor as my F350. It is in a different league, that doesn't make it a poor camera...it's still just about the best 1/3" HDV camera out there
Quote:
there is a real problem with people making comments about cameras they haven't actually used. Trust me, get your hands on an EX1. Shoot some pictures then look back at them on an HD monitor, then tell me that you can't see a big difference in image quality. I would never comment on how one camera compares to another if I haven't actually used them both!
Don't believe it, look half way down this thread (Phil, join in here if you want)

Should I upgrade from the Canon AH-A1 to the Sony EX1? [Archive] - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking

Quote:
$450 for 25min SxS cards is not my idea of an upgrade. I'll also need a laptop for the field to download the new small SxS cards, a new camera case, batteries and other misc accessories.
FYI, you will of course need batteries but you don't have to use SxS if you are on a budget and you can just plug the camera into a computer by USB anyway. Certainly beats my Firestore or the Sony CF card recorder.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...ompatible.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-shipping.html

Surely you will need a new case anyway? how were you planning to transport your Letus rig? are you really going to break if down every time?
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I've stoked this fire long enough. Thanks for your help everyone!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods