4:4:4 12-bit Uncompressed DVX100 - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #601
Major Player

one last link http://www.imperx.com/datasheets/IPX2M30H_Manual.pdf
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #602
Trustee

juan what will the cost of this mod be? do you have even a ballpark idea?
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #603
Trustee

Richard that one only does 33fps...so yes it would work but at 6grand I don't think it is worth it if you can't even get 1/2 speed slo-mo from it
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #604
New Boot

use graphic converter to convert .cin files

hey folks
the new version of graphic converter will convert the cineon .cin files to whatever you like (tiff sequence, etc.) so you can then open in FCP.
great software, only $35, here: http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/graphdownld_en.htm
the barbarian group
332 Newbury St.
Boston, MA 02115
www.barbariangroup.com
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #605
Regular Crew

Great work Juan. I've been reading this thread since you started it. I have suggestions for a name. How about Pert4 Mod or JuaPer4 or JP444 or JP Mod4 or JuanMod4 or Pert Mod4. I like the last two. Any other suggestions?
P.O. Box 42
Times Square Station
New York, NY 10108
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #606
Trustee

how fast is it Mr. Palmer?
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #607
Regular Crew

Juan,

Keep us posted on your progress with the DVX100 mod. I am also interested in what you think the eventual price of the mod will be with the firewire 800 interface.

I am also interested in a High Def solution as are others on this list. If the DVX100 can be made to provide useable 720p that is great. We also need to look at available alternatives if uprezzing does really work for compositing and effects.

Les and listmembers,

The datasheet I have for the altasen 3560 sensor is a pdf.

You could email me at randall@eye-net.net and I could send it to you or you may contact Doug at Altasens for a mfg. provided copy.

The Dalsa sensors also look interesting to me. They might be difficult to obtain since Dalsa is trying to market their expensive camera. I am still not sure whether I buy Dalsa's argument that a single chip solution is better that a 3 chip solution. There is the problem of the prism optics compatibility with a 35mm M.P. lenses.

One of the advantages of Juan's mod is that it provides 3 chip color in raw form. Perhaps if would be nice to look at Dalsa's
L3 compression or some other lossless compression scheme to
limit the size of the data capture needed but we are quite happy to get 12 bit data in 16 bit tiffs for now.

Randall Larsen
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #608
New Boot

hey obin
graphic converter is as fast as any batch conversion would be... it's a raw format to raw format, so depends on your processor/disk speed, but it took under a minute to do that batch juan posted, on an 800mhz tibook. there is a demo you can download at the url previously posted
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #609
Regular Crew

Many probably have heard of huffyuv. It's a lossless compression codec. Seems to work. Don't know if it does 10, 12, or 16 bit per channel.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/huffyuv.html

source code it there also.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #610
Major Player

A minute to compress five seconds of material is not exactly mindblowing... then again, the limiting factor might be hard drive speed with files this big.

- b
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #611
Regular Crew

huffyuv. i meant it for sharing large numbers of files, not for capturing.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #612
Major Player

I wasn't aware that FCP and photoshop could not open the cineon files...i think i'm just going to upload a zip file with the TIFF frames, and take the cineons down...

Unless anyone has another suggestion i will do that tonight. Can someone check if there is any 10-bit or 12-bit format that is handled by FCP? Maybe the DPX format works?

I'm also going to upload some more frames with film comparisons, and different HD uprezzes to get opinions from all of you on what looks best...that way I can upload the entire clip uprezzed. I was able to get the raw frames VERY close to the 35mm stills.

One thing to note, is that color correction after uprezzing is probably not optimal, so if anyone has any color correction suggestions for the frames let me know so I can apply them before uprezzing.

About the cost, I am working on that now. There are a lot of things i have to consider if I am going to sell this, so as soon as I have a figure i'll put it out there and see if all of this is worth doing.

Juan
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #613
Major Player

I am uploading the TIFF frames now, will post when it is done.

One thing that we didn't note, the zip compression already takes care of the '0' bits that pad the 10-bits-16bits and so the TIFF zip is the same size as the cineon zip. :)

Juan
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:17 PM   #614
Major Player

> 8 bits per chan.

This is an unfortunate part of the film business, there are no real standards for lossy compression that can do more than 8 bits per channel. My business uses a 12 bit jpeg format internally, but I don't think that any common applications handle this. If a non linear editor like Vegas started supporting >8 bits, it would revolutionize the budget digital intermediate world. If anybody has any new information on this, please pipe up!
-Les
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:06 AM   #615
Trustee

This may be a little off topic but I'm wondering if anyone has a guess as to how much more information would be carried by 3 16x9 SD chips as apposed to the ones in the dvx 100. Would this be something comparable to the 40-50 mbs per second we'd need with juan's mod or significantly more?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods