DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Alternative Imaging Methods (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/)
-   -   upside down monitor solution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/23982-upside-down-monitor-solution.html)

Nicholi Brossia April 2nd, 2004 03:08 PM

upside down monitor solution

Right now I've started a thread that asks for engineering comments about flipping the image digitally. Of course, that's quite a ways away at this point and many of you, like myself, need at least a temporary solution for viewing an upright image when recording. The common solution seems to be buying a 4.5" lcd monitor and mounting it upside down next to the camcorder. This will work, but is pretty expensive for a temporary solution.

I've found a much less expensive solution for the time being. When you flip the camcorder's lcd around to be viewed from the front, the image flips vertically. Also, with mirror mode enabled, the horizontal orientation flips as well. That means if you put a 45 degree mirror in front of the lcd, reflecting the image up, both the left/right and top/bottom will be properly oriented via the mirror. Granted, the camcorder will still record upside down and it will have to be flipped in post, but at least this is a good start.

Right now I'm trying to build a mirror thingie out of cardboard. Hopefully I'll post pics later this evening.

If anyone else wants to start working on one too, you'll need a 2.5" x 2.5" mirror to view the entire lcd screen (for a 2.5" lcd screen). Then just figure out a way to mount it at 45 degrees and you're set.

Nicholi Brossia April 2nd, 2004 04:23 PM

Okay, I did it wrong, I'm dumb. Even though the mirror mode lets it flip vertically, its still upside down horizontally. Sorry about that.

Filip Kovcin April 2nd, 2004 06:28 PM

maybe this?

i'm not sure, but...

as you all know - the flip out monitor has its feature to switch the picture upside down and left to right. and also - as you know - that very responsible for switching button/sensor is hidden below the surface of the camera.

so, does it means that if we are able to play with that specific button/sensor responsible for that upside/flip situation we can make it happen even if the flip monitor is NOT turned upside down?

what i want to ask/check is following: - if i unscrew the screws around that flip out monitor and find a button/sensor - if i press the button for good, will i receive the upside down picture or not?

if i'm right - the sensor will think that monitor is in upside position (event if it is not) - and switch the image...

i'm not now in position to check this with my cameras, but maybe someone has it's camera around...

what do you think?

filip

Alain Dumais April 2nd, 2004 07:50 PM

Filip

Yes, that's right.
Just on the side of the LCD of a Vx2000 , not on the LCD but just right to it ,there is a plastic cover whit only 1 screw at the botom. Remove that screw,remove the cap and the switch is just there. Flip 180 degre.

Alain Dumais

Nicholi Brossia April 2nd, 2004 09:54 PM

Just to get a solid idea of what you've found, here are some pics I found on the net of the side view and rear view of a VX2000 lcd. Can you describe which screw(s) must be removed to reveal this switch?

I'm using a GL2, so hopefully I can take your discovery and somehow apply it to my camcorder.

Alain Dumais April 2nd, 2004 10:39 PM

Nicholi

Here a pic of what I did.

http://www.kheops-tech.com/~ad3d/invert.jpg

I just put a plastic pin in the hole when I need to flip .
Pretty easy to set up and working just fine.

Alain

Alain Dumais April 3rd, 2004 12:12 AM

Rotate 180

Here is a very interesting software for those ho have to render to rotate the image.

http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multimedia/Direct-Show-Filters/Multimedia-DirectShow-Rotate.htm

There is a demo available for download

Alain

Nicholi Brossia April 3rd, 2004 12:37 AM

GL2 lcd image flip

I just got done operating on my GL2 a little while ago and am happy with the results. The GL2 is actually totally different (at least the procedure that I took) than the VX2000 when flipping the image. After unscrewing the equivalent cover that Alain indicated, no progress was made. The cover refused to come off because it is affixed inside the lcd screen housing. However, right below the center axle of the lcd is a little magnet that pops out when you poke at it with tweezers. This magnet is responsible for giving the lcd screen the instructions to invert. When its removed, the screen doesn't change. Therefore, the lcd should invert the image whenever that designated area of the lcd comes in the magnetic field's range... and it does. After sliding the magnet into the proper spot, the screen flips and makes me very happy.

Thanks Alain for the idea and giving me the courage to dig into this.

Brett Erskine April 3rd, 2004 01:33 AM

Now when you guys force the image to flip upside down (right side up in this case) as described above does it also correct the image left to right? As I remember it didnt when I tried this but its been awhile so refresh me.

-Brett

Nicholi Brossia April 3rd, 2004 01:54 AM

With the GL2, you have the option of enabling "mirror mode" when the screen is flipped. Turning that on lets you see the image properly. That ends up working out great. I'm pretty sure the VX2000 does that as well, but not certain.

Also, for the GL2, a small piece of thin refrigerator magnet actually works for flipping the image. After finding the right spot, just tape it on there and you're all set.

Brett Erskine April 3rd, 2004 02:11 AM

Im jealous. I didnt think my DVX has a mirror function. Great find!

Filip Kovcin April 3rd, 2004 03:15 AM

so guys, who did this first , and didn't tell to the others? :)))

filip

Filip Kovcin April 3rd, 2004 03:19 AM

the end is near...

in other words does this mean that lcd flipping/inverting problem is solved and that thread (about inverting the image) can be closed for good?

can you put here maybe a list with the cameras where and how this can be done and we're ok.

what do you think?

filip

Filip Kovcin April 3rd, 2004 03:24 AM

Re: Nicholi

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Dumais : Here a pic of what I did.

I just put a plastic pin in the hole when I need to flip .
Pretty easy to set up and working just fine.

Alain -->>>

alain,

can you tell me WHEN you did this? just at the same time as i "suggested", or you tested it after the readings or you did it much earlier?

just curious

filip

Nicholi Brossia April 3rd, 2004 03:27 AM

Well, it looks like Alain and/or Filip get credit for the VX2000 image flip. I certainly won't complain if you want to give me credit for the GL2 discovery :)).

Yeah, I think that means we've solved the problem for VX2000 and GL2 as far as lcd inverting, but not the tape recording. Granted, with all the real-time editors now, inverting shouldn't be too much of a problem soon.

Tomorrow I'll post a detailed breakdown, with pics, of how to rig the GL2's lcd. Add that to you guys posting a how-to for the VX2k and that covers a lot of camcorders. Hopefully Brett will discover a DVX solution too.

I know this is little, but its still pretty exciting to me. Too bad Busta Rhymes is already using the name "Flipmode Squad" because that would really fit us at this point ;).

Nicholi Brossia April 3rd, 2004 04:16 AM

Brett, good news... you don't need the mirror mode to get a properly inverted and reverted image. I thought I had the setting on this whole time, but it was actually off. So you just have to figure out how to trick your DVX's lcd into flipping the image.

Alain Dumais April 3rd, 2004 10:29 AM

Filip Kovcin

I did that after I have bouhgt a 2nd monitor and understand that all those monitor are crap , If I whant something good it's gone cost a lot. I knew that this is fesable but was just afraid to open the cover and broke something.
And I am more worry about anamorphique lens for the moment. ;¬)

It look's like my other post havent got your attention about this software, take a serious look to it .

http://www.leadtools.com/SDK/Multime...how-Rotate.htm

There is a demo version.This software can flip the image at the capture. $149

Brett I have try to send you the images you have ask me but it alway's bounce.
Alain

Joe Holt April 3rd, 2004 07:10 PM

PD100A inverted monitor

Hey all,

I spent today working on my Sony PD100A (DVCAM version of TRV900). The flip out monitor is just like the VX2000. I ended up drilling a hole in the little cover plate shown in Alain's picture posted earlier. I use a filed-down finish nail to depress the little internal button. It works fine though I have to figure out a better way to keep the button depressed.

I also discovered that the inverted image is still reversed left for right so I'm now thinking about making a monitor hood with a glass mirror to completely correct the image. Sadly, I can't figure out a way to electronically reverse the image. I guess my Sony doesn't have a mirror setting for the monitor.

I look at correcting the image in the monitor only as a temporary fix until I can get a hold of a Sony engineer who'll spill the beans on how to internally modify the camera for inverted shooting. Well, at least I won't have to buy a crumby little LCD monitor. Any ideas or suggestions are always welcomed. Joe

Brett Erskine April 5th, 2004 06:57 PM

Turns out the DVX100 DOES have a mirror/normal option in it's menus. So the DVX users can completely correct their image BUT its important to note for all reading this thread that these changes only effect the camera's monitor and DO NOT correct the image being recorded to tape.

-Brett

Filip Kovcin April 10th, 2004 05:08 PM

to Joe Holt - another solutions

maybe there is another solution for users who are working with the cameras where is no possibility to change mirror (left to right) option when using "pin inverter", like in sony pd100. you can make picture upside down, but not left-right

i checked that now with my pd100 camera. there is small part below that cover where the pin is inserted.

(alain, with your permition, i will use this as a reference)

so the idea is following:

1) the metal part which is switching monitor picture upside down and left/right is part of that turning ring where the monitor is conected to the camera body. ok. good for now, next.

2) you already drilled a hole for "pin inverter", like myself and many others, good.

and now, the best part...

3) CUT out that metal part!!!!! from the "ring" (it looks like hook)

you already have "pin inverter" - right - so you can make your picture any way you want, right? but not left/right? yes?

now you can - when you cut that metal part, turn your flip monitor upside down and nothing will happened.... no change at all!!!!

from now on - there is no mechanical part which will invert/revert the picture, he, he... and you receive proper image for your aldu/agus!

now you can push your flip monitor back, close to the camera body, so you can see it.

look at it and work "normally" i know that now you must look at the side which is littlebit confusing, but at least it's not oriented left/right.

isn't it great?

filip

Alain Dumais April 10th, 2004 08:56 PM

Filip Kovcin

I notice yesterday that ,whit the pin insert ,when I go in a menu or custum setting the image flip left right. So there is certainly a way to do this by programing.

Alain

James Webb April 11th, 2004 07:17 PM

DXV100 and the "normal/mirror" setting

<<<-- Originally posted by Brett Erskine : Turns out the DVX100 DOES have a mirror/normal option in it's menus... -->>>

Hey Brett, are you saying the "Normal/Mirror" setting in the DISPLAY SETUP flips the image in the LCD when set to Mirror? Mine doesn't.

Joe Holt April 12th, 2004 09:38 AM

Re: to Joe Holt - another solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Filip Kovcin : maybe there is another solution for users who are working with the cameras where is no possibility to change mirror (left to right) option when using "pin inverter", like in sony pd100. you can make picture upside down, but not left-right .....

isn't it great?

filip -->>>

Filip,
That is a great idea. I don't know if I'm ready to tear into the monitor mount enough to be able to remove the metal piece that switches to inverted mode. At least not just yet. I am working on an idea of a roof mirrored hood that might do the trick. If it works, anyone would be able to make one of these mirrored hoods to correct the image completely in the monitor without any surgery. I'll post it here when It's ready. I'm also checking some of the optic surpluss sites for a small image correcting prism for use with my viewfinder. Correcting the image in the viewfinder would make handholding an Aldu 35 more pleasant. Thanks again for the great idea. I might have to revert to doing the surgery after all. Nurse! Where's my scalpel!!! :>0

Joe

James Webb April 12th, 2004 10:09 AM

DXV100 and the "normal/mirror" setting

Since the purpose of the "mirror" function on the DVX is to be used in face-to-face shooting (SELFSHOOT), how would it help resolve the flipped image? It doesn't work unless the LCD monitor is flipped 180 degrees toward the lens.

Joel Corkin April 28th, 2004 04:38 PM

I'm going to eventually get a set of screwdrivers small enough to unscrew the two small screws on the pivot piece of the DVX100's LCD, to see whether there's anything in there that can be switched or tampered with.

Has anyone tried this on the DVX100 already?

Joel Corkin April 28th, 2004 06:19 PM

Hey Nicholi and everyone, I started experimenting and found a magnet near the LCD pivot on the DVX, just as Nicholi described on the GL2. Thanks for the link and for posting your response, Nicholi.

By placing my own little magnet in the appropriate spot I got the image to flip as needed. Thankfully I didn't have to dismantle the camera or anything. It's pretty easy to figure out, so I'm sure that anyone who read your post and tried for themselves figured this out too.

It's great that everyone can pitch in a nice little contribution to this effort every now and again, and that people here aren't hoarding discoveries to themselves. This latest tip will save DVX users and others a nice chunk of money by avoiding prismfinders or external LCDs for monitoring purposes. I'm glad that people here are willing to share their findings. It's a very positive thing.

Filip Kovcin April 28th, 2004 06:44 PM

this is great to hear - that dvx also have this magnetic trick! great to know.

filip

Brett Erskine April 28th, 2004 07:01 PM

Thanks! ...
...now where did I put thoughs damn screws..

-Brett Erskine

Nicholi Brossia April 28th, 2004 07:17 PM

That's great to hear Joel. I think tricking the lcd like this is much more presentable than a big upside down monitor and will look more professional during shoots.
Right now I'm just using my GL2, which I love, but that DVX100A is sure looking good.

James Webb April 28th, 2004 08:37 PM

little magnet trick

Excellent!

Brett Erskine April 28th, 2004 11:19 PM

I just tried the idea of using a magnet to trick the monitor to flip the image and it works....BUT I think the magnet might be harmful to the monitor because it started to flash and loose the signal. Im not sure if you can do fatal damage to it so before you try it for yourself hop on google and find out what magnets do to LCD screens.

-Brett

Filip Kovcin April 29th, 2004 05:52 AM

maybe your magnet is too strong?

i know that you can do many nice and funny things with normal CRT screen but with relativelly big magnet.

can you measure the "power " of magnet, and how? (in DIY way of course)

filip

Filip Kovcin April 29th, 2004 05:57 AM

to Joel Corkin

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corkin : By placing my own little magnet in the appropriate spot . -->>>

joel,

maybe you have some jpgs to show us the magnet's size?

did you find anything on your lcd screen, some artefacts caused by that very magnet?

if yes - maybe also some jpgs?

thank you

filip

Wayne Morellini April 29th, 2004 06:00 AM

Try different magnets, and positioning. The magnet might be too strong and interfere with the signal, but maybe it is not storng enough and the device keeps trying to reset to normal. Different magnets have different dimensions in their feild shape. So some might be more constricted in the area and direction they work, and can be positioned and aimed better. Rare Earth magnets are the strongest and could interfere with the electronics, destabilise compoonents (like the original magnet) and I think, maybe even wipe parts of your tape reel.

Nicholi Brossia April 29th, 2004 02:54 PM

Like the other replies, it sounds to me like you're using too strong of a magnet. The magnet I used is very very very weak, so weak that it just barely sticks to metal if at all. I just took one of those thin business card refrigerator magnets and cut off a strip. Then I just wedged the strip between the lcd body and the base, with the black surface facing the lcd. It took a couple times to get the trick, but after that it was fairly easy. I can even tilt the camera around without the screen flipping or anything.

Brett Erskine April 30th, 2004 07:08 PM

Sounds like mine is to strong. Its strong enough to hold a dozen papers on a fidge. I'll have to try cut a piece off a weaker one as you recomended. Thanks.

Sorry no frame grabs and Im worried about doing it to get some.
-Brett

Filip Kovcin May 1st, 2004 07:29 AM

chess magnet?

hey guys, i have plenty (32 pieces, he, he...) magnets here, from my tourist chess set. does anyone tested this (the magnets, not the chess game:) - i'm not in home now, so cannot test the camera with it. any thoughts?

Joel Corkin May 1st, 2004 07:51 AM

Hi everyone, sorry, I have been in the process of moving houses and things still aren't set up, so I won't be able to send a jpg of the magnet. However, as has been suggested, I would recommend trying lower powered magnets if you encounter interference. The one I am using may or may not be optimal, however, so far it hasn't interfered with the LCD screen's operation.

The magnet is chrome metallic in color, so it is probably a manufactured magnet as opposed to a rare earth magnet. It is disc shaped with a 1cm diamter and a 1-2 mm thickness.

I think a cut up fridge magnet would work quite well, actually.

John Cabrera May 5th, 2004 10:54 PM

fidge magnet

I tried a fridge magnet. Put it right up agaist the little sensor thing that reacts with whatever magnet is inside the swivel arm attachment. I could only get it to flip once, very quickly, but couldn't reproduce the results again. I even squeezed my finger in there and pressed the magnet snugly against the little sensor. Nothing. My feeling is that those fridge magnets are too weak... or at least the two that I tried are. Whatever magnet is being used inside the arm attachment, it's much stronger in power than the fridge magnet, cause it doesn't even have to touch the sensor for it to trigger.

I'm trying to find some other household found magnet that will work... suggestions?

John

Nicholi Brossia May 6th, 2004 12:00 PM

The magnet in the GL2 looks very similar to the ones found in those fake magnetic earrings. That might be an option.