First test footage: HD with GG orbiter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 12th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #16
Major Player

Brett, I need to sort out my bandwidth on the server I use, but I will get that video to you. You wern't one of the 150 that looked at the video ? I still can't believe how many lurkers there are on here !
And how many that downloaded both the mpeg2 and the media9 ... what the hay, greedy little buggers ! ;)

SOOO .... How abouts you post up a little sample for all to see?
I'm the only one that posted a video at high quality so far.

ps: anyone remember where that pdf is with the mini35 pictures? Some folks are interested in the workings.

-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:44 AM   #17
Major Player

I'll send a link to them shortly
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #18
Major Player

Here is that link previously posted, for how the stuff works:
http://www.pstechnik.de/sheets/downloads/pp-dec12.pdf

-Les
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #19
Major Player

I'll post a video when Im all done constructing it. It should really be something to see even compared to the Mini35 itself.
Old August 12th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #20
Regular Crew

brett,

its easy for you to reproduce this Unity?

or send the exacts plans?

im really need one of these...

you people got to help me!
Daniel Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:43 AM   #21
New Boot

Hello.

I'm one of those lurkers.
I did not reply since my knowledge about these things are so low.
I do have a few questions though.
What is causing the flashing of the light in the lower left corner? Also, is it just me or does the image vibrate a little?
The DOF is damn cool though and there seems to be less noise (chroma noise I think it is) than in other JVC HDV clips I've seen, did you use some filter for that?.

Best, Magnus.
Magnus Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #22
Major Player

Sigh...

I'm waiting on southern Mississippi to figure out what broadband is, so that I can post some high-rez motion footage, instead of sequential framegrabs.

;-)
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #23
Major Player

The framing was off a little, and the camera was seeing too much of the left part of the GG, so you see the edge of it moving. The camera was just loose, so I could move it around, The bottom left flicker is the counter weight. There is a bit of image vibration, the mount needs to be made of something sturdy, not the temp wood setup I used to hold it up for the test. I did run a virtual dub chroma filter on the footage, yes.

My bandwidth limit gets reset on the 16th, I can mail links to the HD video test after that.

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Magnus Andersen : Hello.

I'm one of those lurkers.
I did not reply since my knowledge about these things are so low.
I do have a few questions though.
What is causing the flashing of the light in the lower left corner? Also, is it just me or does the image vibrate a little?
The DOF is damn cool though and there seems to be less noise (chroma noise I think it is) than in other JVC HDV clips I've seen, did you use some filter for that?.

Best, Magnus. -->>>
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #24
Trustee

Brett...how small is your unit now? do you think it could be built inside a camera or will it have to be outside the body?? I would like to design our camera around your system so that you never take the GG adaptor on or off...it's part of the body
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #25
Major Player

dof

les thank you for the clip. I have made a agus 35, and a aldu35
this looks to be the most promising .
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #26
Major Player

Remember guys, It's not really Brett's system, or my system.... it's Pstechnik's .
Brett, what is the diameter and depth of your module? My 3 shaft one is 1.5" deep and 3.5" diameter. Did you try a 4 shaft design? I think that saves room for a bigger GG. That size doesn't include the motor, it fits outside the main diameter.

<<<-- Originally posted by Obin Olson : Brett...how small is your unit now? do you think it could be built inside a camera or will it have to be outside the body?? I would like to design our camera around your system so that you never take the GG adaptor on or off...it's part of the body -->>>
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #27
Major Player

My GG is aprox. 60mm square and the off set shafts make it move in a 2-3mm circle. With this said it isnt a option for a in-camera system but if you plan on using only 35mm lenses then you could make it small enough to be in camera.

Im hunting for a slick looking project box for it right now. In the mean time a regular one will do. The bottom of the box will have a section where you can run a standard 15mm rail system thru so you can mount it properly - not to mention run a follow focus set up.
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #28
Trustee

check out this shot from a take in the spot I am working on now:

www.dv3productions.com/test_images/DOF shot.jpg
www.dv3productions.com/test_images/DOF shot2.jpg
www.dv3productions.com/test_images/DOF shot3.jpg
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #29
Trustee

Brett I really want to test your GG with the HD camera I am working on...how can you help me out? I could test it for a week? or?
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #30
Major Player

Softness

The shots look like they use the DOF effectively. They do look a bit soft, maybe because it's a proxy or something.
I have yet to shoot a res target with mine, with and without the DOF gadget in place. I think it does loose a touch of resolution however. I think the before and after resolution of these DOF things like the one I made should be part of the testing for effectiveness. MTF is MTF and DOF shouldn't impact it too much.
Sometimes low budget filmmakers get fooled into thinking that softening the image is part of the 'film look'. Film isn't soft. Interesting dilemma!
-Les Dittert
Les Dit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods