Telecine question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 16th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Les,

Pixelharvest is actually one of the companies I was looking into. I'll e-mail you for a sample. Thanks a lot.
Charlie McCarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #17
New Boot

Telecine Question

If you call your local (or closest metropolitan city) Kodak representative, they will be happy to answer your questions. With HD beginning to take up a portion of their film sales, they are begining to promote Digital Interface. Especially in the 16mm realm. I recently went to a Kodak seminar comparing costs of HD vs. 16mm. They had a panel of local filmmakers and industry technicians and the subject of DI came up. From what I learned just from their discussion you really need a holywood budget to scan at 2k. HD telecine is not terribly expensive and quality really depends on where it is done. All this I'm sure you know by now.
I live in San Francisco and the people at Monaco Labs are willing to talk your ear off. I suggest you google them and get their #. I'm sure they will explain anything you need to know. Another place in San Francisco I am familiar with is Retina. I hear that their telecine is one of the best. I've never dealt with them myself so I don't know how helpful they will be.
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #18
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Martin!

I was under the impression that DI stands for Digital Intermediate
(in the film world) and not Digital Interface (?)....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #19
New Boot

Telecine Question

Rob-
Thank you for the welcome.
Your right, Digital Intermediate... not Digital Interface. Sorry
Martin Hesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #20
Wrangler

For the HD feature I shot recently, we did a cost comparison on HD origination vs Super16 and 35mm orientation, both with telecine to HD for DI (as in digital intermediate!) The final product is to be filmed out to 35mm so that was taken out of the equation.

For a $500,000 feature it was determined that the relative costs (from origination through delivery of editable footage on HD) was approximately $40K for HD, $60K for Super 16 and $75K for 35mm.

HD telecine is certainly cheaper than a 2K DI--but it's still pretty darn expensive!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods