Consolidated XL1 35mm Adapter Thread - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old October 17th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #211
Regular Crew

Or duplicate the nested forums that we have for Quickstream and Firestore in the Direct-to-Disk (Tapeless) Recording Solutions forum.

Create an XL1/XL2 sub-forum here and dump all the related threads into it. Forget about turning this thread into a single dogpile which would be a mess because I see this thread as a fresh start and prefer it clean and lean.

My 2 yen.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #212
Regular Crew

ok, sounds good.
Lets just make sure this stays the active thread and the others remain simply for reference.

As soon as I get my check card in the mail (just moved state and changed banks) I will order those optics.

What are other people doing?

Does anyone have a 20-25mm 35mm still lens?
If so, that would help us over our first obstacle, figuring out distance/focal length to capture 36x24mm frame.

stephen
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #213
Inner Circle

I am probably repeating what someone has already mentioned. If so please ignore with my apologies.

One needs to know the flange to focal plane of the Canon XL1 lens 3 x CCD combination, or the distance the CCD "sees".

My method for doing this would be to take the XL1 lens, set it towards a target and position a groundglass behind, then position the groundglass for the sharpest image, then find alternative prime lenses to do the same to find the flange face for that lens relative to the XL1. I would use this method as well as known distances and calculations as I don't know if there are other optics in the path from the XL1 mount through the prism to each of the CCDs in the camera. If they exist, then a simple measurement of the flange to focal plane of the alternative lens will not be valid.

This may be difficult if the XL1 lens is a servo lens like most camcorders and cannot be set to a fixed known distance to target.

Once this is established, then experiment onto a closer target the size of the ALDU preferred image frame size, by moving the lens forward of the flange face until the frame size match is found.

Instead of messing with a groundglass and magnifier and lots of eyestrain, a single-chip security camera into a large TV display would be a handy alternative unless you use the XL1 camera itself. I don't know if it will operate without its own lens installed.

I hope I am not throwing too many people off into a dead-end by this suggestion.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #214
Major Player

1500 grit ground glass

hi everyone I made a static adapter with the optmo sigma 1500 ground glass and yes it was the best ground glass yet . I built the first adapter out of 52mm filter rings I can not get the lenses precise enough in the filter rings . I have just placed a order with thorlabs for a stackable lens tube and two retaining rings I will be using the 1500 grit ground glass and aplcx 50mm lens with a focal length of 60mm the tube will allow fine tuned focal length
from the camera lens and the ability to fit the plcx directly on the ground glass. in this stackable tube we could build any combination we might need.

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=213&Product_ID=1481

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?&DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=1132&Product_ID=36117

this is link to the static adapter made with optmo sigma ground glass http://www.dvinfo.net/media/mellor/35%20mm%20lens%20test%202.jpg

Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:39 AM   #215
Inner Circle

Kevin.

I jumped the gun and started posting on the new combined thread.

Before you splash out and buy the expensive 25mm C mount lens, try your secondhand store and see if there is a Cosmicar 25mm C-Mount lens. That is what I tested with.

You still have to have to C-Mount to XL1 adaptor. With that installed you could probably justify to a security company coming down to their shop and trying out a whole bucket full of their lenses on the cam in their shop.

Alternatively the CS-Mount security camera lenses will mount to C-Mount with a plastic spacer. Both have the same thread and the spacers could be stacked until the back focus is right. They are also relatively cheap and are no loss if filed down to be thinner and it doesn't work first try.

A 25mm C-Mount lens is also used on some video taps on CP16Rs.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #216
Regular Crew

Why do you think P+S use a 850,- lens?
Mount a security camera lenses on your XL and compare the picures with those from the Schneider lens. There are worlds between.
If you wont, we also have security camera lenses, down to round 35,-$ but the pictures are so bad, that you also can use a very bad still GG. If you wont this, do it.
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #217
Major Player

that's okay, Bob... actually I'd like to move all of it over there so we can all be on the same page.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #218
Major Player

relay lens

hi everyone I have been looking for this part for some time . thi s may be what we need to make a relay lenes it's a component
for a stackable tube system from thorlabs with proper lenses
and advice from optmo sigma .it has a focus adjustment of 1 1/2 inches . this could also allow this adapter to be fitted on any camera.I am sure we can make a great relay' for less tha a thousand dollars. heck this is laser stuff . It's made to be
precision. I wish the parts were cheaper but I have wasted a lot of money on 5 devices agus, aldu,et al .It is time to build this out of quality components.. even the components will retain part of there value on the used market

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=214&Product_ID=1486
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #219
Regular Crew

Laser works only on a fixed wavelength and have only a small beam.

Photo optics must be color corrected and sharp not only in the middle. This why the constuction of a good photo/film lens have much more than two lenses. Here is a datasheet with a inside look of the Schneider Kreuznach lens. Look at the lens design:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/oem/c-mount/visible_spectrum/pdf/xenon_095_25.pdf
Rai Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #220
Major Player

color correction

this movie was made with a homemade adapter with condenser lens . {life agaiist memory}. color looked ok to me

www.triggerstreet.com
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #221
Major Player

thoughts while shaving

I think there is a short window of use that needs to be considerd .
the mini35 sells for 7,000- 10,000. this allows small ccd chips
to attain shallow depth of field. the movie life againist memory
was made with a less than $300 homemade attachment
shallow depth of field was obtained ,and I think greatly improved
look and feel of movie . all of these devices will degrade image
even the holy grail mini35. my purchase of say $500 in laser componets would still have the value of the laser componets in 5years .in five years nobody will attach a device that degrades the image. when 35mm lenes can be attached to ccd that are 35mm . our device will not be used. but our components will
still have value . If made from laser componets
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #222
Obstreperous Rex

By the way this thread now contains all of the previous XL1 adapter topics merged into one. I left the largest one, Canon XL-1 Relaylens intact for your research, but closed it in order to drive replies here, where they belong. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #223
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks chris!

stephen
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #224
Inner Circle

Ray. I appreciate where you are coming from.

I suggest using the cheaper lens to establish the working principle then each player, if they want to take it to the next stage of image quality to then go for the more expensive lens once they have established their rig works and they feel comfortable spending more on it.

I used the 25mm Cosmicar C-Mount lens for 8 years for stringer TV news assignments on a 16mm film camera. It is of better image quality than some of the more modern security camera offerings which was why I suggested people chase them secondhand. They should be relatively cheap. The image shakes a little when you move the focus barrel but once set and locked in an adaptor it won't be shaking because nobody will be moving it.

My work was accepted for broadcast by our national broadcaster so the lens can't have been all that bad.
Old October 18th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #225
Regular Crew

Bob,
Okay, your right. Maybe it will be a good idea to produce and sell 2 different 35mm solutions. One sheap, just to have ideas what 35mm DOF means. And another with same, or better quality like the P+S

Cosmicar lens sounds good. I think , this one was produced for 16mm, so the quality must be better than for security cameras. What F-stop is it? .
Rai Orz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods