Consolidated XL1 35mm Adapter Thread - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:20 AM   #91
Regular Crew

It's a Infinite Conjugate Micro Video Imaging Lens - designed for use in micro CCD board cameras.

Focal Length (mm) 2.90
Max. CCD Format 1/3"
Angular FOV >79°
Min. Working Distance 200mm
Minimum FOV 330mm
Mounting Thread M12 x 0.5

I planned to make the mount myself. So I first made som tests to find out the proper distance to the ccd. But I couldn't get it in focus. You can also buy a c-mount adaptor for this type of lens. Can you make anything out of the specs?
Anders Floe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #92
Regular Crew

anders,
yes, i understand the idea. but just looking at what you propose, would make it more difficult to complete overall.

I'm afraid you'd be much better off making a very inexpensive-but good-Agus35. That is the model with the spinning ground glass. You can make one for about $30 or less... this will get you up and running cheaper and faster than what your thinking of putting together now...

just a thought...
-dino
Dino Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:55 PM   #93
Major Player

What adapter and lens would you use for an AGUS35? I'm at the point where I'm thinking that if it's good enough for the Mini35, it's good enough for me to use.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 05:47 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Location: Augusta georgia 15min. from Aiken S.Carolina and 2 hours from Atlanta
hey, patrick

i would definitely like to see pics of your setup when you upload them. i'm curious about how huge the setup is.

is this something that has to be stationary or can you walk around with it?

what is the dof acheived with this unit?

what is the cost of the setup?

do you have to pump in more light for this setup than with the regular lens?
Patrick Falls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #95
Regular Crew

dino

dino reyes, how are you coming along with your adapter?

do you have recent pics?

i really like the way patrick wright's setup looks, and the depth of field looks great, but he mentioned trying the gg for a less video look so i assume he's not happy with his set up. i like the fact that it doesn't make the camera look too long.

i'm still trying to weed through the forum and find out who has the adapter that yeilds the best results, if you can give me the name of the person that i need to talk to that would be nice, also fell free to e-mail me at mrpatrick357@hotmail.com for any updates in your project.
Old July 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #96
Regular Crew

to patrick wright

hey, patrick can you e-mail some costs of this setup, and explain to me if you feel that a ground glass will make a huge difference in the way your footage looks without it?

with the dof that you are obtaining do you think that you can get the less video look in post to achieve the same look you would get with ground glass? i like the fact that your camera looks like it doesn't need any special mounts or support. it looks like your cam will be stable on a good tripod.
Old July 24th, 2004, 07:33 PM   #97
Major Player

It would be great if any stuff like that got posted to this thread so we can all share in it and perhaps help each other develop this project together.
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #98
Major Player

yeah, the moving around with some of these set-ups is an issue.

I would love to have a simple solution like the one they used on MARLA but that ain't gonna work.

I'm at the point where I think I need to go back to looking at the AGUS35 solution and forget the ALDU35 option for now.

The P&S Mini35 uses this technology, it's relatively compact and it's proven and theoretically easier to rig up and build.

Granted with the XL1 series using more professional lens options it's not as easy as duct taping a box to the front end of your handi-cam but I think it's a viable option.
Old August 7th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #99
Regular Crew

XL1s?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the boards and trying to play catch up and see what everyone has been working on for some time now. I would love to be able to build a 35mm adapter for my XL1s, but it seems like it's not an easy task. I was just curious if anyone has tried to make one with the revolving GG ( i guess those are the Agus35's correct?) like Kevin Burnfield has just mentioned. I'm very interested in trying some of these ideas out and welcome any advice or comments in advance. Thanks for everything I've learned so far and pardon me if I ask any stupid questions. I've been trying to read up as much as I can, so I don't ask the same things that have been asked 50 times before.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #100
Major Player

I'm trying to find some specs on a Baseplate and Rails for my XL1S since the ones that are sold are frickin' too expensive but haven't found anyone that can give me the measurements and details. I figure I could work one up once I get them and then consider my options for lenses, adapters and such.
Old August 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM   #101
Regular Crew

I don't have a rail system or baseplate for my XL1s either so I can't help you out with demensions. I am interested in helping out with this idea though. Do you think it's possible to devise an inexpensive way to use an Agus35 style system without having to mount it on the end of the cameras existing lens or would it have to be mounted to the end of the cameras XL lens? Would it also be possible to make something similar to the Aldu35 GL1 from this site....

http://ideaspora.net/aldu35/

I know the owner of that site posts here, but i'm not sure what his name is. It should be possible to do something like that with just 72mm threads instead right? I know it defeats the purpose of having interchangeable lens, but it's alot more cost effective. Has anyone had any luck with the XL1's doing something like that? It seems like every plan that involves using different lens really starts to add up. I like the adapter that Dino made, but the parts start to add up fast. Too bad no one could come up with something for the relay (i think that's the right name) lens for the camera to attach it to these 35mm adapters that didn't cost a fortune.
Old August 8th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #102
Major Player

The P&S Mini-35 _IS_ an Agus35 type device. A spinning ground glass that gets the image from the 35mm lens and a macro lens on the other side to read that image off that spinning GG.

Yeah, I think it's possible to do this but honestly, I just don't have the mechanical skillsets to figure it all out.

Yeah, Jim's site is fantastic. Gives some great advice and shots on building an adapter.

There are a lot of people here who have done amazing things and made real progress but the XL1S doesn't seem to have a simple (i.e.: relatively easy and not expensive) solution.
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Relay Lens

Okay so the big problem we have here is basically we need to find something to use as a relay lens, that doesn't cost a fortune. I like Dino's design, but there has to be a way to find a lens to use as a relay without having to use a 35mm lens and adapter. I noticed on the relay lens thread that there was talk of using 16mm or c mount lens like the ones from edmunds, has anyone found one that works? Using a c mount attached to a XL body cap might work, but I just wish we could come up with some type of lens that we could attach to the camera with the XL mount then to the 35mm adapter. It sure would cut the length down on the camera expecially if you then used the agus35 set up.

I'd like to start working on this some very soon, so any adive anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Relay Lens

Okay, I decided to try and build a agus35 style adapter for my xl1s. I was thinking of trying to adapt relay lens set up like Dino used. I'm looking for a 24mm, f2.8 (as he suggested) lens. I'll prob. go for a Canon EOS lens, since I already have a Rebel Ti and hope to get a digital rebel sometime in the future. I know the lens will set me back more than a Nikon or something like that, but I figure then I can get more uses out of it then just using it for the adapter. My question is with that set up what type/magnification macro lens will i need between the relay lens and the GG? I know some of the ones I saw using GL1s and such were using like a +7. With the XL1 and a 35mm still lens will I still need something close for magnification?
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #105
Regular Crew

I'm still experimenting with the relaylens. I can't believe that it should be so complicated. All you need is the right piece of glass and a mount. I'm having trouble making one because I get all my knowledge of lenses from experimenting. I basicly don't know anything about lenses. I took an old photocamera lens apart an held one of the several pieces of glass in front of the camera CCD and it shoved a nice picture (though not wide enough). So it should be possible with a single piece of glass...or??? I really need help from somebody who know lenses!

Can anybody tell my which glass I should get a hold of???

Thanks!
Anders Floe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods