mini 35mm question how to get the perpedicular shot thru the 35mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Major Player

mini 35mm question how to get the perpedicular shot thru the 35mm?

I was looking at the pdf from the nice people at marlathemovie.com and wondered a few things :

1) When you remove the viewfinder from the top of the 35mm camera and replace it - why do you get perpendicular image from the camera? You are shooting straight down into the guts of the 35mm camera, yet it says that you will get the 90 degree angle of the footage coming out the front of the camera.

ie; the 35mm camera is horizontal facing outward and the DV camera is vertical shooting down at the top of the camera, yet its says you are able to see at a 90 degree angle of what the 35mm camera is seeing? Is there a mirror in there to turn the image upwards towards the DV camera? I didn't see it in the spec sheet?

Thank you
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Behind the lens of a 35mm still camera, and in front of the shutter, is a mirror at 45degrees. That mirror "swings up" when you normally shoot a still picture.

The image comes through the lens, hits the 45 degree mirror, making a 90 degree turn "up". That image then hits the ground glass. Normally, the 35mm viewfinder has a prism in it, that then bends the image of the ground glass, another "90" degrees into your eye.

Hope this helps.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes thank you. After doing some research I came to that conclusion myself. I was looking at cheap cameras instead of pro ones and couldn't figure it out at first. I am having a hard time finding a 2nd camera to do this at a reasonable price - flea market today - $165 was the cheapest.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods