sonyHD or dsr570 with pstechniks ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM   #1
New Boot

sonyHD or dsr570 with pstechniks ?

first of all i would like to apologies for doing another comparison thingy-

for my own "projects" and a few lower end fashion spots i can afford about 8 grand-

so im thinking of keeping my money for a sony HD Z1 with a mini35 (leica lenses). downgrading the video to DV in post. (i appreciate neither of these has yet been released).

or should i get a dsr570 and keep my budget for hiring in pro35 and lenses-----

what i am mostly concerned about is the highlights and dynamic range (stops of latitude either side of exposed). make it look nicer and all that.

the other advantages of the z1 setup would be splitting the fields to have (downgraded) progressive scan... as well as possibly 50fps progressive scan?!

hmmmmmm---- pondering

thanx
thomas
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you want dynamic range, the DSR570 is going to have much wider latitude than the HDV camera.

Your choice is a $15,000 standard-def camera with huge CCD's and excellent dynamic range, superb low-light performance etc., vs. a $5,000 high-def camera that has tiny CCD's, with much less dynamic range and significantly worse low-light performance.

But it's high-def, for 1/3 the price.

If you're going to be working in standard-def and you need the best dynamic range and highlight handling, and can afford the DSR570, the choice is obvious.

If, on the other hand, you value high-def imaging, the choice is obvious.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods