mini35 xl1s canon ef lens, do i need to adjust back focus? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 25th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

mini35 xl1s canon ef lens, do i need to adjust back focus?

hi, and thanks again, after a couple of tries with this setup i noticed that it was extreamly difficult for me to pull the right focus, so i thougt it could be something with the mini35 adapter so i went and bought a 7a9 shrpness chart, i set up the testing using a canon ef lens at 50mm at 9' 10" distance with the relay set at 1 or fully open and only saw the first from the left circle, here are the questions , do i have a back focus problem ? how many circles do this set up should resolve? and a ? OT but needed how should i set the settings on the xl1 like saturation,setup and colorgain i heard somewhere that they actually put these setting all the way down any suggs apriciated thanks
Rafael Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Sponsor: ZGC

Hello Rafael,

It sounds like your relay is not focused on the ground glass. If you have a current mini, you will find the lock screw for that adjustment just in front of the iris ring with the single index line. There is a hole and inside that hole the head of a hex screw. You will need to use a 1.5 metric hex wrench to turn that screw ½ turn counter clockwise. With that done you will be able to turn the ring with the hole and focus the relay. To do that right you will assemble your camera on the Mini35 and use the 7A9 chart. If you fill the frame with the chart I expect you will see at least between 5 and 6 circle patterns.
If you have an earlier Mini the similar adjustment exist but it is under the knurled ring in front of the iris ring with the single index line. You will have to detach the relay from the Mini35 unscrew and remove the knurled ring. You will see two slots opposite to each other on the diameter with the cam follower that look like the head of a screw in the middle of each slots. DO NOT TOUCH THOSE. Instead look for the locking screw located in between the slots proceed as above with the 1.5mm hex wrench.
If you have one of the first Mini35 the relay is attached to the body of the Mini35 with a Knurled ring and not a bayonet lock ring. If this is your case let me know as I will have to find my notes on the procedure for that one.

I hope this helps.
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #3
New Boot

I got one of those Earlier Mini35 series300, Need help with focus

Hey dude, you really sound like you know what you're talking about. I bought an old one and am having troubel with the focus. It's a early model. Series 300.

Another question: The prism seems to be slightly frosted. Is that normal? It it possible to get a new one nowadays.
thanks Cruz.

Juan Francisco Villa

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods