Light loss? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 6th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Light loss?

How much light can you expect to lose using a 35mm unit with a spinner CD? I noticed that my image are very dark and when I take the DV camera away, the difference using the DV with the 35mm is considerably brighter. Is this just one of the trade offs? Is there a way to help this?
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Make sure the lens opening of the 35mm lens is set wide open, like 1,7.
Light loss is big, you can't just pick up the camera and film if the setting in interior. I have to use at least two 500w spots to get a warm soft light.
I think it's a disadvantage that's probably an advantage in terms of artisticy.
With real 35mm film, I think the light loss is about the same, so you have to learn lighting for movies, in stead of video.
More light is always better than gaining light on the DV camera (use it's auto exposure to determine what lens opening is required for the DV)
Outdoors is always OK.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I was just wondering if it was more a case of the GG - because it seems some people are using a light grade (I think that is what the term would be) and maybe that is letting more colours come through, but I could be wrong.

I have filmed some footage indoors and yes, I need my two 650W key and fill to help out and get respectable footage.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong. Thanks!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh, I forgot..Sometimes the DV reacts to the strong lights (like the 650W when your adapter is still open and gives a very dark and grainy image. Try it with a dark blanked covering everything except the lens.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Major Player

A static adapter with Beattie screen has nearly the same light sensitivity as the video camera itself so you don't need 1000 + watts of light. :) I know - the grain, the grain...
Steev Dinkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods