Anamorphics - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #31
Major Player

Keith: Custom glass is the only really viable option. I've looked around at the various stock pieces on the market but there are very few of the right size and none with much quality for this purpose. Custom glass is also necessary to get the correct aspect ratio. It's absolutely imperative to get this correct or the adapter becomes useless!

Ocar, I honestly don't know. I haven't looked at materials such as you describe. One thing to keep in mind though is that you won't be able to make an achromat easily that way. This could be bad or acceptable depending on how critical of your footage you are.

I'm not sure about the differences in curve. Will get back with you one that one.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #32
Major Player

Ok just a quick question about design preference.

Would you guys rather see a small, compact adapter which increased the focal length of your lens or a longer adapter which maintained the focal length as it should be? Both are possible - I'm just trying to judge what people would find more useful. I know what I personally would go with but that doesn't mean a whole lot :D

EDIT: Also, what lens types are most people going to be using? (Nikon, sigma.. etc)

Old January 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #33
Major Player

If a focal increases, would that mean the GG has to be closer to the 35mm lens or further away? (probably a stupid question)
Most people probably have much work or no space left if the GG needs to move to the 35mm lens.
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #34
Major Player

No movement of the ground glass would be required. The design would however, make your wide angle lens become effectively longer making it harder to achieve wide angle. It would mean that the ground glass is farther away from the lens (due to the adapter taking up space in there). There is a way to get around this but it requires a longer adapter (counter-intuitive but it does work).

I'm guessing that we're talking about an increase like this:

20mm lens -> 45mm lens
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Personally depending on how much the difference is in size between the two, I would prefer an adapter that keeps focal lengths the same. Most of the stuff I shoot and am planning on shooting requires alot of interiors so increasing the focal length of the lenses wouldn't help me out much with that.

My 2 cents.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #36
Major Player

Not much response like I was hoping for but I'm going to go with the longer version. It may be larger but I just can't stand the notion of having an adapter that adds to my focal length when I don't want it to.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #37
Major Player

Aaron, what size will it be. I think people need to know to check their equipment first. I don't really like the focal length increasing too. Do you think the lens I'll be making, will have a larger focal length?
Again, don't do too much work on calculating the curves for my lens, I'll make a few different prototypes anyway, so I'll be able to adjust it then.
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:04 AM   #38
Regular Crew

I'm still interested in the anamorphics. I was just curious if aaron or anyone else might be able to point me in the direction of how they work optically (books, websites, etc). I mean i know the purpose of them and the basics. I just wonder how you are going about actually designing how to make one.
Keith Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM   #39
Major Player

Keith, there are some decent introductory optics tutorials online. It's a pretty heavily math oriented field so you will need to know a bit. For books that take an easier approach (not totally mathless - you can't do it, but less math intensive) you might consider looking for the book "Practical Optical System Layout" by Warren J. Smith. It even has a chapter on getting the most out of stock lenses! I'm quite lucky actually. I have access to some very powerful, industry leading, design software which helps. You still have to understand what the math means, how to calculate etc but the computer runs the actual calculations and can even optimize a design for best output given a set of specifications.

Edit: Ocar, depends on what sort of lens you are attempting. A front mounted adapter shouldn't have this problem. Will post more later.
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:42 PM   #40
Major Player

Aaron, I'd first want to try a rear lens, because of the advantages you pointed out. But if I end up having too little space inside the camera (I also have a thick condenser lens) I would attempt a front lens.
I hope it doesn't effect the curve of the lens whether it's front or rear mounted?
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Shaw, how's this going?

thanks
Frank
fomoDVXpal
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #42
Major Player

Goin alright. I've had to put the project on hold temporarily but I'm gearing up again to bash away at it. Hopefully I'll have some footage soon!
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #43
Regular Crew

wow. can't wait
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #44
Regular Crew

actually, something came to mind.

if i want to keep the video DOF, can i simply remove Dan (or whoever) 35mini system and still maintain 16:9?

in other words will it shoot with JUST your adapter?

if so, will the zoom function?
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #45
Major Player

Good question. The short answer is, unfortunately, no.

It is/will be designed to mount to a 35mm mount. You would have to find a way to mount this straight to your video camera if you wanted to do this. About zoomthrough.. I can't say. It would depend heavily upon your camera since it isn't designed for this purpose.

Still making progress. Slowly but surely.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods