Beattie needed ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #31
Major Player

I have question. With Beatie and Maxwell, which way fressnel faces, action or camera? What happens if you turn it around? Does it make any difference? What is difference? All answers very appreciated.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:34 PM   #32
Major Player

In theory you would want the GG side of the focusing screen facing your video cameras lens but in practice I didnt notice any difference in quality one way or another.

The Maxwell screens sell for roughly the same price as the Beattie screens. Call them for their prices.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #33
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Radek Svoboda : I have question. With Beatie and Maxwell, which way fressnel faces, action or camera? What happens if you turn it around? Does it make any difference? What is difference? All answers very appreciated.

Radek -->>>

I tried both direction, and I found if you direct fresnel side to primary lens, you will get less vignetting, but I notice some ghosts on Maxwell, because other side is pretty smooth and works almost as mirror, so I can see bright parts of my camera in it. If I turn it fresnel facing to camera, I will get more vignetting, but no ghosts... I did not take any result charts, this is just my subjective feeling.

Im little bit diaspointed about Maxwell, but I hope its because I did not found the way to use it right yet... :)

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #34
Major Player

Daves,

Just use it the way it produces better picture. You may not need condenser with this lens.

Does ground side look like grit is extremely fine, smooth, a lot more than regular ground glass you've been using?

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #35
Major Player

Radek-
Its about the same amount of grain as any GG you can make yourself so in both cases it falls just short of being used in a static adapter but people are looking into these screens for use in oscillating adapters in which they work very well.

Daves-
You said your were disapointed in yor Maxwell screen. Can you tell us why and have you done side by side comparisons between the Maxwell and the Beattie? I've played with both but not at the same time so I cant tell you which one is better from experience but I decided to go with the Maxwell because alot of the pro photographers on Photo.Net swear by them and a few even said they preferred the Maxwells. I'd love to hear another opinion though.
Brett Erskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Brett: I'm not telling that Maxweel is bad... All I wanted to tell is, that I did not find the way to use it right :))) Till now, I had better results with Nikon GG and condenser. And had no time to continue with tests... Maxwell gives me a lot of vignetting.
I believe I will tell Maxwell is great, not just because it costs me ten times more. What I can tell now is, that maxwell is much brighter than any other GG...

At the beginning there was an idea, then the ambition came and the idea became to be a dream... The Satisfied Dream => http://film.datriware.com
Daves Spi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods