Make My Shopping List at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Make My Shopping List

So, I'm working on a rather large-budget production using an XL2 (with which I'm becoming more enamored the more I learn about it), with a mini35 to be delivered in a couple of weeks.

I've been asked by the production manager to do research on lenses, which I've been doing now for about a week, but I wanted to ask you guys for your opinions as you've been so helpful in other areas thus far.

Three questions:

1) If you had to buy two/three lenses and price were no object, what would you buy?

2) Same question, but *trying* to keep a budget mind. Middle of the road?

3) What's the least I can get away with?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.
Chris Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Cooke S4's. Check them out on ZGC.com. I beleve there the best lenses out there.
Rabi Syid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Get some Cooke Primes. They are delicious.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Wrangler

For the cost of two Cooke S4's, you can rent an entire set including zooms, and probably add a second camera to boot! Unless your show is specifically designed to be shot with two or three lenses for stylistic reasons, you'd be a ton better off with a fat rental package.

If purchase was the end goal, you could probably get 3x as many used Zeiss Superspeeds for the same cost as the Cooke's. Still a fine, sharp lens, and more than adequate for a Mini35 setup on an SD camera.
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
New Boot

Lenses

Thanks to the great advice of Charles here, I just recently bought a set of used Ziess super speed primes for my small buget project. Thanks again for the advice Charles!
I also had the chance to rent a couple of Cookes and Ziess before the purchase. It is very difficult to tell the difference. The Cookes definitly feel better on the hands, but the through the lens, it's very difficult to define any 'real' differnce. It's kinda like the idea that your car seems to run better after a hand wax and detail.
But another thing to think about, maybe you might find some difference using your XL2, I've been using an XL1s. If I were you, I would definitly try renting both before choosing.
If time is a factor and money no object, I would rent the Cookes just in case your XL2 defines a difference.
If time is still a factor but money was a little more scarce than initially thought (plus I might have a chance to keep the lenses after) then I would buy a set of the Ziess because post production is almost magical nowadays and you want to keep your shooting options open.

Good luck with the project

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods