News at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

News

Any new updates James? I don't care if we're going to have to wait another few weeks for something to get 'worked out', but just give us something to work with! :-p lol
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Micro35

Sorry for the delay guys. I've been taking care of the 'Business' side of things over the last several evenings while fixing a few things during the day. Here's some very exciting and interesting updates from the Micro35 camp.

Company Information:
Redrock Microsystems, LLC. will be the company that will manufacture the Micro35, Micro35 Pro, MicroMatte (Mattebox), MicroFocus (Follow Focus), and possibly a shoulder mount. The company will launch a new website within the next two weeks. There will be much more information on the products and services provided by Redrock Micro on the site. You'll be able to purchase the products above online, plus parts and accessories. Before releasing these products to the market, it was important to me to formally setup the infrastructure to develope, manufacture, and support these products and services. There will be plenty of company information on the site once it's released.

The Micro35 Project Guides:
As mentioned before, the guides are ready! The stickers came in, but the were the old logo. The new logos will show up early this week.

And here's the bad news. The latest GGs are terrible. I spent all weekend re-designing the mounting mechanism to support the correct gg. Everything is now back on track (an managed to remove about $10 from the design), but I'm faced with the option of shipping the guides without the GGs or holding them until the new GGs and Mounts are ready (Week or two at the most). I may email everyone and give them a choice.

Pre-Assembled Units:
This is going great! I've got an initial prototype run going now. It's caused me to change up the design some to get them massed produced, but that's part of the game.

The new SLR mounts are freaking awesome. It will immediatly allow you to order systems with Canon AF, Canon FD, Nikon, Pentax, (good for you!) etc. without any design work or testing (Good for us!).

We will begin taking orders on the Pre-Assembled Units in mid to late April. We're expecting the lead times to be two to four weeks initially, and once things are running smoothly, they should ship the next business day.

In case you haven't seen them, here are a few pics:
www.micro35.com/images/hi_view.jpg
www.micro35.com/images/low_view.jpg

We've also made a few design changes based on feedback from our prototypes (Thanks Larry!). Here are a few:
1. Gone to Stainless Steel rods instead of the Aluminum.
2. Using a clamping mechanism instead of a set-screw/knob.
3. Made a 3/8 tap in the side of the mount to attach an Isreali LCD arm.
4. The new GG mount. (This will be available to guide purchasers for building their own adapters.)

Micro35 in the Field:
The Micro35 is being used on several 'big/highly visible' productions in the next few months which will make for a very interesting product launch.

NAB:
We've had many questions regarding our attendance at NAB this year. 2006 will be the year for Redrock at NAB. We'll have most of the products complete by then including the Micro35 Pro.

Again, I'm very excited that we've formally setup the infrastucture to handle these products and services. I believe it will be the key to providing excellent solutions for the indie community for years to come!

James
www.micro35.com
James Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great news! Thanks so much for the info!!
Old March 27th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Major Player

James, amazing news - THANK YOU!

James, hey, one step backward with the gg's but AMAZING news otherwise - this is great.

Thanks for all your hard work - pls. excuse our "impatience" as we anticipate your products - we are like eager kids waiting for Christmas. Honestly, this is what this feels like to me... counting the days... sleepless nights dreaming about d.o.f.... EXCITED!!!

thanks for the mega update!

Good luck!

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

News on the XL2 adapter?

James-

How are the tests with the XL2 coming? I'm seriously considering only ordering an XL2 body and going with your adapter and a couple decent lenses. Do you think this is doable for a novice?

Haven't heard much about your mattebox or follow focus. Care to elaborate?

Thanks

Andy
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks James - new info of course leads to new questions! What is the difference between micro35 and micro35 pro? Also I heard you are working on an OCT-19 mount version - is there any update on that as well? I know your original prototypes were based on Lomo primes, but I don't know if that was a PL mount version or OCT-19.

Great job. Can't wait to get a hold of one
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Any word on the ground glass? I've got a few people in the video department at my university that are considering purchasing around a dozen pre-builts, but they wanted to see my model first.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Micro35

the ground glass situation is all good. It will require a different gg mount, but I've taken care of that as well.

All is good in micro35 land. Just trying to catch up! Website should be up soon!

james
www.micro35.com
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Excellent, does that mean you're shipping soon?
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #10
Micro35

Yep! That's why I've been tucked away...
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Well that made my day! When are you shipping? Or have they already shipped?

Best of luck! :)
Daniel Skubal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods