Mini DV35 Groundglass evolution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Mini DV35 Groundglass evolution

Hello
For those of you that have evoved with this system, does any one kinow if there has been a real evolution in groundglass fineness?
Also how quiet is the 400?
Christopher Lowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #2
Major Player

It is pretty quiet, but not enough to use the on camera mic.(subject to BG noise levels as well) Whoever uses the device, does it for a very specific kind of projects and a boom mic should be part of the deal (imo). If you take all the "trouble" and expense to shoot using that device, you might as well go the extra mile and get good sound (my 2c on the issue)
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Tourist

Mini 35 relay P+S groundglass

Hey, Anyone heard of this problem? I believe my P+S groundglass has
suffered some condensation/ or water/ fogging from shooting in high humidity. It seems to have left a sort of stain on the outer edges of the glass. As I was shooting it began to look like a heavy fog filter was being used - especially in the highlights. It does appear to be on the groundglass and not the protective glass. Any Suggestions??
Peter Sensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Try and leave it in a hot place (in the car? if it is a sunny day). That should get all the water out of it. If the water left stains, you will have to have it open and cleaned (the prisms or the inside filters) My 2c.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #5
Tourist

P+S Groundglass

Thanks Dan, I had it checked out today at Statton camera in Detroit. My P+S looked quite different from theirs. It was very foggy - prizms and mirrors. We pulled out the optical assembly and tried to clean it - it had an oily resedue on it and the tech there thought the ground glass had the same stuff on it. We thought maybe it was coming from oil or grease in the ball bearings surrounding the groundglass. Anyway, It's off to ZGC - I'm sure Gui
there will be able to make it "all better". Thanks again for your reply. , Peter.
Peter Sensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Noise & Service

1) Good idea to service it w/ ZGC.

2) Re: noise - all of our units are pretty quiet, but I've used units from other places that have had a bit more noise. If yours is on the quieter end, and there's any kind of background noise on your location, the gg movement should be drowned out. But you can always do a mic check to be sure.

Otherwise, using a hot-shoe shock mount and a wind jammer should take care of any noise.

But, as already suggested, if you can do it, a boom mic always works well and no noise should be picked up by that, even with the noisiest unit.

http://www.madmojo.com
Production blog.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods