Is it possible to use an old hard drive to spin ground glass? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old August 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #46
Major Player

Wayne, lithium polymer would definetly work and great if you can find them, downside is they will require a charging circuit but if you can get by that then more power to you (a pun was so intended)
Keith Wakeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #47
Major Player

Hehe, thanks Keith,
Luckily im very familiar with LiPo's from my R/C helicopter days. They are both lightweight and high capacity, but need the special charger.

Something to concider i guess.
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #48
Major Player

Frank Ladner

To Frank Ladner,

Frank, I read that you are also trying to build a spinning glass solution, using the case from a hard drive? Looks like me and you are the only 2 on this board trying to push this solution. I love the hard drive case idea, im thinking of using that.

Maybe we can get our heads together to come up with a working solution? Maybe we can chat via msn messenger if you wish? my msn is waynekinney@hotmail.com

Looks like the main problem is being able to drill a centre hole in the glass in the EXACT centre. Im very interested to see how far you have got with this.

If you can contact me via email or msn, or even on this thread, that would be great.

Thanks,
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #49
Major Player

OK,
I am just getting ready to buy the tools required to build this spinning glass adapter. Below is what I intend to use:

1:A plastic project box to house everything in. size - MB5 145 x 95 x 57·5 (mm):
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...rldID=&doy=3m9

2:1 Circular glass cutter like here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

3:Pack of 1mm Diamond drill bits like here:

4:Coolermaster 80mm Tri-Blade Silent Fan:

Firstly ill cut the fan blades off and the outer body. Ill then drill 3 holes in the centre of a 5x6" glass from a photoframe using the 1mm diamond drill bit, the 3 holes will form a triangle shape to mount to the pc fan.

i will then place the glass in top of the pc fan where it should be mounted as accuratly as I can, then mark 3 holes on the fan. Ill then drill the holes on the fan ready to take 1mm screws to hole the glass to the fan. Ill use rubber grommets/washers, as to prent the screws from cracking the glass when they are tightened.

With the glass mounted, Ill start the glass spinning slowly, then using a perminant marker pen, touch the surface of the glass exactly 45mm from centre (90mm diameter glass), keeping the pen very steady. This will result in a line in the perfect position in relation to the axis of the motor.

Unmount the glass from the fan, then using the circular glass cutter, cut the 90mm diameter glass disk exactly on the line.

Once cut, you can then grind the glass with aluminium oxide (maybe its best to grind before hand?)

Remount the glass and you have it. The glass should be centred perfectly in relation to the centre axis of the motor.

There are 2 possible problems with this method. 1: Any inaccuracy when trying to cut on the line with the cicular glass cutter and 2:making sure the glass mounts to the fan in the EXACT same position each time.

Anyway, im going to buy the tools next week and give this a go. the 90mm diameter disk is the smallest possible while being able to use a 36x24mm frame area. The smaller the diameter of the glass, the less gyro effect i beleive. Ill let you all know how I get on.

Thanks
Wayne.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods