What to look for in LCD Screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to look for in LCD Screen

Guy any tips on what to look for in a LCD screen. I'm looking to get a lexus35 or something similar and know I need to 180 flip but what about the image quality? I need something that I'll be able to get a sharp manual focus with.

I see a lot of "deals" on eBay for lcd screens for car dvd players. What should I be looking for in terms of stats? I saw something that explained the numbers and how they are misleading here but for some reason the search post option is not working for me here. Any ideas for what works?

XL1-s
Bogen 503 head
Sony wireless
Adobe Premiere 6.0
Matrox RT2500
Brian Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Major Player

800x480 is better than so-called 1152x234 or 1440x234 units. I say "so-called" because they are really only 384x234 or 480x234.
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #3
Trustee

I have a 7" 800x480 lcd on the way. I'll let you know how it works out. It is model VM7000 from ebay seller short-circuit.com. He has a store that sells car computer parts. There are also a couple of models from Lilliput that might work. They appear to use the same lcd but are packaged differently. The one I ordered has s-video and VGA input. I'm hoping it can size properly for DV formats and it would be nice if it has flip modes so I don't need to mount it upside-down. Some of these monitors will do the flip because they are intended for rear-view camera use in vehicles.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Trustee

I forgot to say, in case you can't wait for my review after my lcd comes in. NONE of the monitors smaller than 7" or 8"(4:3) seem to have full resolution. Most of them, including the expensive packages sold by photo/video stores are about 320x240. When one of the numbers is really high and the second is small, it is because they are counting the R,G, and B dots as pixels. For instance, the 1440x234 is really 480x234. If you are going to get an adapter that makes following focus critical, you probably don't want a low-res monitor.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Trustee

WOW! There is a whole lot of incorrect information about these small LCD monitors! I am about to start pulling somebody's hair out over this issue. EVERY single web site has information that conflicts with the item description on someone else's site. Most of the sellers try to hide the actual resolution by telling the number of "pixels" expressed as a single number. For instance, "high-resolution with 280,800 pixels" really means 400x234! They arrive at this number by multiplying the horizontal by the vertical then multiplying by three since there are three different color dots per pixel. They are ignoring the definition of pixel and misleading people by quoting the number of RGB dots.

The monitor I got, the VM7000, does not have s-video capability and it stretches the video wide up to the 800x480 resolution. The seller is going to do a full refund, so I am asking about his vm80 that is 640x480 that should at least play in the correct aspect ratio. Considering that the monitor does no resizing on video input, I doubt if it will display 16:9 video properly. Be careful, because these monitors may advertise video scaling, but it may only be for the vga input!

The good news is that the customer service seems good and the 640x480 (true full pixels) monitor is cheaper.

Another problem I am having is actually finding the models that the manufacturer make for sale. Ebay has most of the lilliput monitors, but there seem to be many models missing. Lilliput theoretically makes monitors perfect for our purpose, but they don't seem to be for sale.

I am awaiting a response to my questions about the vm80, but I believe it does not have s-video input. I just may get it anyway since it is affordable ($199) and will at least have the corrrect aspect ratio.

Marcus
Old November 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=136

http://www.lilliput.cn/products1.htm
Frank Vrionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #7
Trustee

The first link is exactly the same as the monitor I bought. Unfortunately, the 7" monitors don't seem to actually have s-video. Many resellers have it in their descriptions, but if you look at the cable after buying one, you realize what looked like an s-video connector is actually a proprietary connecter for attaching the vga cable. Also, according to the lilliput link, only their 8" monitors support s-video.
Old November 21st, 2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Trustee

LCD4Video TFT Monitor?

http://www.lcd4video.com/

Anyone with technical know-how think this is a good monitor? Excellent price...
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:06 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
http://www.lcd4video.com/

Anyone with technical know-how think this is a good monitor? Excellent price...
That's not the real deal. Yet again, another low-res monitor, when there are higher res monitors trickling into the market. I'm wondering when manufacturers will make the switch and stop this madness.

Although there are cheaper monitors - http://short-circuit.com/details/monitors/vm7000.html and http://xenarc.com/product/700y.html, how to power them and mount them upside down is guess work.

I'm steering towards the following as a pro solution:

http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70p-dp.html