Rail support material... stainless? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 20th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Rail support material... stainless?

Well, I've been reading the Alternative Imaging thread for a little while now, and I finally decided to make myself a respectable mini35 for my XL2... complete with image flipper and XL mount on the adapter... the design is pretty much worked out (after going through an optics book). The one unknown as far as contruction goes is getting my hands on just the female-XL mount. Maybe a broken lens off ebay?

I have access to a milling machine, lathe, etc, so I intend to make a very nice adapter. There's an aluminum scrap place that has 1" and up thick blocks of the stuff, so good materials wont be an issue.

Anyway, none of this is the reason for this post. After sorting out details, I realized that it really makes sense to think about a rail support first (another thing that's overpriced to buy, as we know!). The big question is this: What are they usually made of? The ones I've seen seem to be from 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter... are they stainless steel? I was thinking either that or titanium, which is probably overkill. I've seen pictures of traingular ones made of... carbon fiber? Ok, so that's the question: stainless or other?

I'm picking up the aluminum stuff tomorrow, and might even have something to take pictures of at the end of the day.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Trustee

I've seen them made of either aluminum or carbon fiber, and are usually rods of 15mm in diameter spaced 60mm apart. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong?
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ben is always right.
Also, I would like to know the title of that book.
Kurt August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Trustee

I have seen rods spaced in 100mm, but it might have been for 35mm motion picture cameras. I know it's a standard too.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, thanks for the replies! I'm going with the 60mm spacing and alum rods but 15mm seems like a small rod to support a big 35mm lens... is there a larger standard?

Unfortunately, no pics yet... my reliable source of aluminum has disapointed me.

The book is "Optics and Optical Instruments" by B.K. Johnson from Dover publishing (part of "Dover Books on Physics").

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, the book is now officially on my christmas list.
Kurt August is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods