Canon GL2 + Letus35 + 50mm 1.4 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old November 20th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon GL2 + Letus35 + 50mm 1.4 lens

There's been alot of great reviews for the Letus35 so I won't go over what has already been covered in other posts. I really like the adapter, and the only thing I'm having issues with at the moment is a shaky image when adjusting focus due to the length of everything attatched. Is it necessary to turn off the image stabalization?

Clip 1
10 seconds, raw premiere dv avi

Clip 1
20 seconds, quicktime H.264 codec

Clip 2

Clip 2

Clip 3

Clip 3

The H.264 codec desaturated the image so I gave those clips a bit of color correction.

Last edited by Chad Schultz; November 20th, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Chad Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #2
Old Boot

"Is it necessary to turn off the image stabalization? " . .interesting point .. However, with the front heavy leverage I guess some rods and clamps would be good? You gonna tell me you already have them? The cyles of vibration is in the order of what Hz? Maybe even WITH OIS set "ON" the stab aint getting the frequency anyway?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #3
Trustee

I recommend that all cameras be supported and stabilized, particularly small DV cameras. Dan Diaconu is developing an adapter/lens support mechanism for 15mm support rods. I use a monopod almost constantly to keep my image more stable.

I would still be interested in knowing if OIS needs to be on or off.

Marcus
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ois

I could be wrong, but I think having OIS on amplifies the camera shake as it works based on the physical movement of the lens, and since the adapter image is rotated 180 that corrects in the wrong direction. Seems worse on than off with an adapter in my experience anyway.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Trustee

You are wise in the ways of science!

I didn't even think about that, Andy. I'm usually good about figuring out things like that. I think we need a sticky with a FAQ about 35mm adapters, how they work, and how to use them.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

anytime you use a 35mm adapter, TURN OFF image stabalizer. I would NEVER turn on image stabalizer in the first place unless i was letting grandma film little timmy's soccer game. stabalizer increases the image size and shrinks it when it senses something is moving to much, thus reducing the quality of the image just a tad. if you are really gung ho about your cinematography, go manual all the way.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Those 2 missing clips are waiting to be screened by Google Video, should be up in a bit.

I'm a little skeptical if the rod supports will be enough. What I would really like is a button operated device to change focus so that I don't have to touch the lens at all.
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Trustee

Did someone say follow focus? But that needs a rod system, so I don't really know if there's a solution like that out there for you, Chad.
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Rod supports plus a battery powered follow focus, with a little chord going to a handheld button would be ideal. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution, half of the people on here seem more like engineers and scientists than cinematographers.
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #10
Trustee

I think you might be better off with follow focus and one of those cord thingies that you just turn, I think it's called like a whip or something. Can't remember. Dan could definately help you out there.
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Schultz
half of the people on here seem more like engineers and scientists than cinematographers.
HA-HA-HALF??? LOL... ONLY??? at least do something more useful and improve some things instead of just shooting meaningless clips. I have watched every test presented (and I will keep watching) regardless the content vs. sitting in front of the TV for 90 min for a brand product. (here is the missing link btw):
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album30
half....
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 05:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ben do you have a pic of this "whip" thing?
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #13
Trustee

Chad, here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.hydroflex.com/site/cameras/folfocthm.gif

yes the picture is extremely small but you get the idea. Attaches to the follow focus knob and allows you to turn the knob using the whip at any angle.

Dan, that Letus support thing looks like it could really work well. Is there any way I could order just the mount that slip onto the rods without the rods themselves (I have the Cavision rods and they're non-returnable)? Thanks.

Also, I'm no engineer but what about focusing a zoom lens while its resting on that? What if you put rollers of some type on that device? Say, cut out four slits at the edges, put in rubber rollers and drilled a small metal axel to use so the zoom lens would rest on them? Of course that wouldn't account for the x movement at all but maybe ball rollers are in order...
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
What if you put rollers of some type on that device? Say, cut out four slits at the edges, put in rubber rollers and drilled a small metal axel to use so the zoom lens would rest on them?
How about if we play "Master Ben stops lifting skirts and blowing covers"? And then “Master Ben gets the toys”? The rollers are there just didn't upload the "explicit" pics. (dam! can't hide nothng here! goda move to another site, so I can work in piece!)
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
HA-HA-HALF??? LOL... ONLY??? at least do something more useful and improve some things instead of just shooting meaningless clips. I have watched every test presented (and I will keep watching) regardless the content vs. sitting in front of the TV for 90 min for a brand product. (here is the missing link btw):
http://dandiaconu.com/gallery/album30
half....
ok. i seriously want that. any idea when it will be available?
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods